Nitescuba NSV60 6,000lm Video Light preliminary review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darnold9999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Flooded my Sea Dragon 2500 a couple weeks ago. No good reason that I could see, o-rings were still in perfect condition, vent not blocked or damaged, just came up from the dive and when I opened the light the next day to charge the battery out flooded some pretty nasty water and on closer inspection a couple of drops were visible behind the lens. Light - toast, to replace - $350USD. Spent almost double that buying it a couple of years ago after trying out an Archon POS light that was useless right out of the box and after fixing works, but the magnetic switches rusted within a year and now cannot be fixed.

Decided that if these things are going to only last a couple of years anyway why spend the extra for "quality". For less than the price of one replacement Sea Dragon 2500 I can get two Nitescuba NSV60 lights. If they only last a year I am still ahead. Yes, taking a chance, but I was not seeing any poor reviews for this company and one of its founders is a diver and scubaboard member so.... took a chance.

The two lights just arrived and they look very good. Build quality looks to be as good as the Sea Dragon with the possible exception of the on off switch and battery. I can't tell one way or the other. Could be worse, the same or better; time will tell. The switch is just a small button (not great for wetsuit hands) but has a LED that tells you the amount of charge left in the battery by the color of the LED which is a plus.

Battery quality is an unknown, but is a 4x18650 battery pack 14.8V 3400mAh. Not particularly readily available but known technology so we will see.

Way brighter with a wider beam than the Sea Dragon and a dome lens which should translate into much wider beam in the water. So two much brighter lights for the price of one. Will dive them later this week and see how they work in the water.

Time will tell if they were a good buy or not.

Flooded my Sea Dragon 2500 a couple weeks ago. No good reason that I could see, o-rings were still in perfect condition, vent not blocked or damaged, just came up from the dive and when I opened the light the next day to charge the battery out flooded some pretty nasty water and on closer inspection a couple of drops were visible behind the lens. Light - toast, to replace - $350USD. Spent almost double that buying it a couple of years ago after trying out an Archon POS light that was useless right out of the box and after fixing works, but the magnetic switches rusted within a year and now cannot be fixed.

Decided that if these things are going to only last a couple of years anyway why spend the extra for "quality". For less than the price of one replacement Sea Dragon 2500 I can get two Nitescuba NSV60 lights. If they only last a year I am still ahead. Yes, taking a chance, but I was not seeing any poor reviews for this company and one of its founders is a diver and scubaboard member so.... took a chance.

The two lights just arrived and they look very good. Build quality looks to be as good as the Sea Dragon with the possible exception of the on off switch and battery. I can't tell one way or the other. Could be worse, the same or better; time will tell. The switch is just a small button (not great for wetsuit hands) but has a LED that tells you the amount of charge left in the battery by the color of the LED which is a plus.

Battery quality is an unknown, but is a 4x18650 battery pack 14.8V 3400mAh. Not particularly readily available but known technology so we will see.

Way brighter with a wider beam than the Sea Dragon and a dome lens which should translate into much wider beam in the water. So two much brighter lights for the price of one. Will dive them later this week and see how they work in the water.

Time will tell if they were a good buy or not.
How have you liked it? I'm looking for a light for my camera set up that won't break the bank.

How have you liked it? I'm looking for a light for my camera set up that won't break the bank.
So far no issues but have not used them much. Will be taking a trip next month to the Red Sea. That will tell.

So far no issues but have not used them much. Will be taking a trip next month to the Red Sea. That will tell.
I'm headed to the Red Sea next month too! My roommate and I are spending a week on the Red Sea Aggressor II end of November.

I'm headed to the Red Sea next month too! My roommate and I are spending a week on the Red Sea Aggressor II end of November.
Aggressor III early November. Have a good trip!

Hi Darnold9999,
could you, or maybe somebody else who owned a Nitescuba NSV60 or NSV80 do me a favour and tell
me some measurements and hopefully a picture regarding the domelens?
Is it possible to unscrew the upper part of the light and how does the connection between the lens and the light look like?
It is a plastic-lens right?
Is the lens permanently bonded to some aluminium part or is it possible to just change the lens?
(in the case its scratched badly e.g.)
Whats the inner diameter and the biggest diameter of the lens?
thanks a lot and best regards, Henning

The dome is glass not plastic and is held in by a ring that screws over top of it. Snap ring pliers could probably remove it. Not sure why you would. A scratch is not going to affect the light much or at all. Sorry not going to remove it to measure the glass. I am on a trip so don’t have the tools I would need and I am not sure I want to risk damaging whatever is sealing the glass to the aluminum body.

Attachments

• 371E53AF-725E-4DDE-86DD-48B588D8690A.jpeg
    371E53AF-725E-4DDE-86DD-48B588D8690A.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 68
I have three nitescuba NSV-60, and have matching blue ambient filters (12B)
I've measured the output at 6000 lumen as it is stated, I haven't got a colour meter to measure the colour but they are WARM. Well made. If you use the blue filters you loose a whole stop of light as expected. The filter carrier once pushed on over the o ring, the filter itself then twists on/off. Beam angle LAND is 148 degree. I bought two then bought another. Alliexpress sell them for £150 sterling. Cheap!

I now have the Nitescuba NSV80
Output is 8K lm, Excellent build.
The strobe function works when the camera first flash starts, and the lamp comes on for about 0.5 seconds.
Good value for money and on par mechanically/light with Top brand lamps.
Interestingly the NSV60 and NSV 80 heads are interchangeable with the respective bodies. Ie fit a NSV80 head onto the NSV60 battery/case and vis versa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom