Ningaloo vs Great Barrier!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surge

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that Ningaloo Reef is better Snorkeling/Diving then the Great Barrier Reef. I have dove the GBR twice, and it LooX like I will be going to Exmouth in Feb. So, I will be blessed to dive the Ningaloo Reef as well.

Anybody out there who has dove both? Comments Regarding This?

Cheers!

I spent some time at Ningaloo, not at the GBR.

My comments:
- The reef at Ningaloo is a fringing reef and therefore right beside the land not way out at sea.
- You have the whalesharks in abundance at Ningaloo between April and August.
- The Ningaloo area is completely underdeveloped and probably won't stay that way for long. The town of Exmouth is on the east side of the cape; there isn't really anything at all on the coast facing the reef. There are only 2 or 3 dive operators in Exmouth along with a few whaleshark boats. Very small, the place is literally hundreds of kms from anywhere.

my tuppence worth

NINGALOO ALL THE WAY!!!

Everything about the west coast is better. The atmosphere there is much more laid back than the hectic, tourist over-ridden East Coast.

The dive shops run much smaller, more personal opperations than the GBR and Ningaloo is much more pristine. I wouldn't say the Ningaloo has the most colorful coral, but the colors and variety of fish and animal life is spectacular.

One of my favorite dives ever was out of Coral Bay on the Ningaloo Reef. Coral Bay is maybe an hour S of Exmouth. There I dove Elbow Reef. We were surrounded by 3-4 Gigantic Manta Rays from the momment we decended. We spent most of the dive just watching them in amazement. They swam within meters of us. SPECTACULAR! What else...Giant Cod, Eels, Angelfish, Wrasse, Lion Fish, Black tip sharks, Wobbygong Sharks. I also went on their Whale Shark trip and saw one of the first sharks of the season. Feb is probably too early though.

I dove with Ningaloo Reef Dive Coral Bay. They are the same company I dove with in Exmouth, but I think they have a different name there. You can purchase multiple dives and use them at either the Coral Bay or Exmouth shop. There were only 4-6 other people on the boat with me. There is only 1 other dive shop in Exmouth.

Both Coral Bay and Exmouth have great shore snorkelling sites where you can see big Bommies, Brain Coral, Stag Coral, Sharks, Sting Rays and tons of fish. Be sure to visit the National Park out of Exmouth. Turquiose Bay has a great shore drift dive, but beware of strong currents. LakeSide had the best big Bommies. If you like walking, Yardie Gorge is definately worth a visit. We climbed down the ridge and spent the day swimming in the creek while feral goats watches us.

Actual Boat Dives from Exmouth took me to "The Labrynth" and Blizzard Ridge. That is where both operations will take you. They save the unique places for the locals. Both places had limestone shelf reef with lots of crevices. The reef was mostly dead, but I have never seen so many fish. Fish were EVERYWHERE!!! Also a few turtles and some really weird curly lace coral that looks like it came righ out of Dr. Suiss. The water was a warm 28 C.

If you are there in Feb, you might be around to see the turtles hatching. Also don't miss sitting on a bean-bag chair at the Outdoor Movie. I didn't have the funds to do it, but I hear the Navy Peir Dive is Magnificent.

Enjoy the West Coast.

True, the coral on the reef isn't the best - but for great coral gardens check out THE MUIRON ISLANDS!! Village Dive in Exmouth will take you there. It's lovely diving. The Navy Pier is also not to be missed.

Back
Top Bottom