Ningaloo vs Great Barrier, My 2 Cents.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surge

Registered
Reaction score
So, I can now say That I have dove at the Great Barrier Reef, and the Ningaloo Reef.

I have returned from Coral Bay, Western Australia only a couple days ago, and am Still buzzed about the Trip.

We booked our Dives with Ningaloo Dive, the shop next to the Bakery. (BTW, the Bakery has Aboslutely the Best Meat Pies, and Fresh Baked Bread that I have ever had) As far comparing the two Reefs, I thought they were about the same. No ONe is better then the other, IMO. I saw bigger clams at the GBR, but more (still large) clams at Ningaloo. There is just so much to see. The visibility was great. My wife snorkled when I was diving, while we were only at 10 metres, she could see me just fine. There is also a natural Shark Sanctuary. It is just infested with Reef Sharks, I think mostly black tip from what I saw. We did a few snorkels there in hoping to get a picture of some, but the water is so shallow, and the sand is quite stirred up, so we didn't get any pix. Out of all the diving, and the snorkeling, I think some of hte best was just snorkling. If you ever go to Coral Bay, go to the Point near where the hotel is. You'll know what I mean when you are there, its near all the boats. Walk down there about 4 or 5 minutes (south), and drop your bags, put on your snorkel, and head out about a kilometer. You will see some of the nicest Reef out there. There are just tons of beautiful tropical fish everywhere. I didn't see any turtles, my wife did however. I did see one when I was on the beach near point Maud (which is a very grueling hour or so walk in the sand. I wouldn't recommend walking it, but if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle definetly check it out.

Also check out 'Fins' Restaraunt too. The food is Absolutley Incredible! Pretty reasonably priced as well considering everything is nearly double up there.

In regards to comparing to the Great Barrier Reef, I pretty much felt they were about the same. No one is better then the other IMO. If you don't like the big crowds though, then Ningaloo is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom