Ningaloo Reef, Exmouth, Western Australia | 1 April 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Last weekend was so much fun - I'd forgotten how great it is to get out and just enjoy being underwater, no clients, no commitments, no phones. Had super fun playing at one of my favourite dive sites - Blizzard Ridge - with some WA on Sunday.
Olive sea snake
APR12_100kja.jpg

Threadfin pearl perch
APR12_101.jpg

Estuary cod above a school
APR12_115kja.jpg

Olive sea snake again
APR12_117kja.jpg

bunches of fishes
APR12_116kja.jpg

Canon 40D, Tokina 10-17 + Kenko 1.4TC, Subal housing, Zen mini-dome, 2 x Inon strobes

very cool pix! Even tho I'm not real crazy about snakes!:scared::scared:

Love the Threadfin pearl perch.
Are the snakes dangerous, some where I read that these are the most dangerous in the world? Probably wrong the amount of misinformation about dangerous species is legendry.

Sea snakes are elapids, which are primarily neurotoxic, and the venom is extremely toxic. However, they are generally not aggressive, and the structure of their mouth is such that, even when bites occur, there is rarely much venom injected. Human deaths from these snakes are extremely rare, and the snakes are not :)

Thanks, All!

smellz - oh, I can go very wrong wtih that combo some days LOL

Victor - TS&M has given great info (as usual). Our view here is, yes, they are extremely venomous - the olive's is the most potent of all the sea snakes, I'm told - but no, they aren't dangerous. I often have one wrapped up around me, peering curiously into the back of my camera or seemingly just enjoying being transported LOL They won't come viciously attack you, but you don't want to piss them off, tease them or try to otherwise make them miserable :) The people who get bitten by these guys are almost always the trawler fishermen not being careful.

Thanks Alcina and TS&M for the info on the snakes. My only experience with the venemous ones is in Africa. There they normally will disapear long before us noisy humans come blundering into their danger zone. The exception is early morning where the cold makes them slugish, then you need to be more careful.

Really nice shots, Kristin. The first one was my favorite. Wouldn't that look great in 3D? Did you take all of these with the 1.4 behind the lens? How does it affect your edge sharpness, especially with the small dome?

Thanks,Larry :)

You know, I have no idea on edge sharpness - I'm sure there are all sorts of guys out there with detailed analysis of this combo (yes, I did have the 1.4 on for every shot).

They all look fine to me but I'm not a pixel peeper at all. If they look sweet on the screen and when I print them, that's all I care about!

Back
Top Bottom