NiMH C-Cell suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently bought a pair of princeton tec shockwave led lights and am looking at getting rechargeable NiMH C-cells (replacing 16-alkalines at a time adds up fast). Have other people done this (either with these lights, or similar ones (UKC8, UKC4, etc...).

I've found some reasonable cells: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=40

but I'd like to know what kinds of chargers you would recommend.

thanks.

p.s. these lights are awesome; I'm definitely a fan.

rhlee:
I recently bought a pair of princeton tec shockwave led lights and am looking at getting rechargeable NiMH C-cells (replacing 16-alkalines at a time adds up fast). Have other people done this (either with these lights, or similar ones (UKC8, UKC4, etc...).

I've found some reasonable cells: http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=40

thanks.

p.s. these lights are awesome; I'm definitely a fan.

You may not be able to use rechargable cells and still get the same functionality.. NIMH cells start with a lower voltage...

8 * 1.5v =12 volts while while 8* 1.25 is only 10v, depending what the voltage is set for, you micght not even start at full output..Many led systems reduce output based on input to extend the life.. The circuit will probably see a fully charged nimh as a pretty well discharged alkaline cell..

The only way you will know is to try it.. I would by 8 and then compare it side by side and see if you can see a difference

I use the Ansmann Energy 8 to charge 2200 and 3500mah GP NiMh batteries to save on battery expense for my UK C8 (halogen bulb, 13.8 watts). Works really well. One charge gives me about 1 and a half hour usable burn time for the 2200mah and 2 hours for the 3500mah. For comparison, I get approximately 5 to 6 hours battery life on alkalines.

Have also noticed significantly longer bulb life since switching to rechargeables. Likely due to the lower voltage.

There is another thread on this same question. I looked into it a little and based on what I found, the initial light output of the alks will most likely be somewhat brighter, exactly how much it's noticeable it a matter of opinion. What I did find interesting is while alk batteries start at a higher voltage they drop off to almost the same voltage level as the NiMH fairly quickly and then continue to drop at a fairly constant rate. NiMH on the other hand have a more gradual drop in voltage from 100% charge to 80% charge, hold a steady voltage from 80 to 20% then start to drop. The mAH of the alks was in the 1800 range compared to around 5000 for the NiMHs I looked at. My guess is you would notice some light reduction IF you have 2 lights side by side at first but over the next couple of hours the NiMHs will produce more light. Another point to keep in mind is NiMH batteries self discharge and really should be recharged before use if they have not been charged within a day or so. Alkalines on the other hand will keep their charge for a very long time. Unless you use your light a lot or live somewhere batteries are hard to find, I am not sure the cost and hassle of the NiMHs is worth it. For occasional use, the lower cost non-name brand alkalines are most likely more cost effective in the long run.....just be sure to remove them from your light, I had a nice light distroyed by leaving cheap batteries in it.

rhlee:

I bought some of the AA Powerizer and a charger from Battery Space and
have been very happy with them (got the 2300maH AA's). Get their
intelligent chargers so that you'll get a better charge.

ScubaLuke here on SB did a comparision test between the PowerEX, Energinzer
rechargeable, the Powerizer, and regular Energizers and the Powerizer
came out in line with the other high end rechargeables.

Since I don't do that many night dives, I ended up going the other way and changing all my rechargeable owered lights to alcaline cells. I found the economy wasn't worth the inconvenience & risk.
What I hate most about rechargeables is almost no warning when you get to the end of the discharge.

Thanks for all the info. I'm still waffling over whether or not to try the NiMH route. I'll post back if I do it though...

I have done extensive research and am finally happy with my battery solution.

I settled for the Powerizer 5000 mAh + Vanson Speedy Box charger.

I have also purchased 2 AccuManager20 for comaprison and all of them work fine.

In numerous out-of-water test I was able to consistently achive 4h of undiminished light output with a very predictable end-of-charge characteristic (light turns blue, flickers, dies within 15 minutes).

After going through 96 pc of Duracell duing my last dive trip I am now happy with this setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom