Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great camera. Look for a great deal on the 28mm lens. Way better than the 35mm lens. Sea&sea made some nice wideangles for these bodies. 17&20mm I’m thinking off the top of my head. The Nikonos 15mm was one of the best lenses for underwater EVER! Depth of field field is your friend here. Have fun!

On the note of Velvia 100 - curious - for any medium speed film, slide or otherwise, under the water, one would surely need strobes?

I'm trying to find a Nikonos V for some fun and local freshwater dives, though I thought about taking it to blue water trips too. I normally use a GoPro but have gotten heavily back into film photography above water (I shoot from 35mm all the way up to 4x5 now) and having a means to take some still on silver, maybe in addition to my GoPro, would be really cool.

I looked for Nikonos V's about a year ago that already had been serviced for use underwater (some with warranties even) but alas trying to find them now have been more difficult :/ Curious if anyone has any suggestions there?
Are you still looking for the Nikons V? I have 2 with multiple lenses and accessories if you are interested.

I have been using Nikonos V since 2001. You can check my website for a list of UW photo taken by this camera. All on film.

Underwater

I am also using 100% film for land photography, both 135 and 120. All my website photos are shot on film.
What are you using for your website it looks fabulous.

Based on the work I did with photographing wildlife during my employment with the National Park, Velvia 100 gave excellent results and I've just stuck with it. We did use Velvia 50 when it came out and liked it too. I use a lab in San Clemente, CA, for processing. Turn around time is about a week. I usually have them do a HR scan of my slides and send me a dvd.

I happened on the housing for the Nikon N8008s housing at a garage sale. It didn't cost me much and I wasn't sure it would keep my old 8008s dry. (It even came with a working N8008 camera body and dome port) Ikelite stopped servicing this particular housing years ago because they had no way to repair or replace any they inadvertently damaged during servicing. The o-ring for the backplate needed to be replaced and I had a tough time finding a replacement. Ikelite initially told me they had none. While searching for someone who had a replacement, I did find a reference for an Ikelite part number that was called an o-ring kit. I called Ikelite again and gave them the part number. They looked and found eight of these kits in their parts warehouse. I now have eight o-ring kits for the housing. When the housing stops working, I'll just use it as a display item.

The replacement o-ring issue is worth mentioning because it can be a problem with housing older cameras. I've run across old housings for Nikon F2 and F3 cameras, but I suspect getting replacement o-rings would be a problem.

Bob at Southern Nikonos has a huge amount of knowledge about Nikonos equipment. He once told me how many spare parts he has in his inventory and it was unbelievable. I sent him one of my Nikonos II bodies for servicing a while back and he had a record of servicing the camera for a previous owner in New Jersey years ago. He did a strobe sync conversion on that Nikonos II for me to make it work better when I get around to getting some strobes for it. I did quite a little correspondence with Bob when I was assembling a collection of serviceable Nikonos lenses. It's nice to have someone who's a knowledgable resource and willing to share what they know.

The following are white shark images done with Velvia 100 (pushed to 400) and a Nikonos II w. 28mm Nikonos lens. No strobes were used and the images are too blue. Image 1 does show the iris of the shark's eye (contrary to popular belief, white sharks have blue eyes). Strobe use would've given more accurate color rendition (the shark's back would be more gray; the belly would be white).

-AZTinman

View attachment 511420

View attachment 511421

View attachment 511422
wow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom