Nikon v. Canon (Trying to Understand the Differences)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say that Nikon may have an edge in the lower end department and Canon may have the lead in the higher end department; just what I've seen while shopping around. Quality-wise, both companies should be pretty even.

on a side note, the new Sony dSLR has caught my eye...

By the way I own a Canon.

howarde:
Exactly Dennis - the price range is a factor. I ultimately got a Nikon D200 for several reasons. But to do a fair comparison for Matt, I think the price range would be the place to start. Usually the first question I asked someone when they were looking to buy.

Of course, I'd sell them on a more expensive model :wink: But seriously - to be helpful...

Nice camera howarde. Even though it's Nikrap...er, cough cough...Nikon...:D

using Canon underwater may lead to your demise...

some say its like using split fins or *gasp* a BCD!!!

on a serious note.. if you are going to be doing really low ambient light photography Canon has better results at high ISOs, 800 and up...

Also, Canon does offer a few full frame options which Nikon does not..

However, Nikon is what real photographers use... :eyebrow: snicker....

For myself it worked as fdog told...
"chose the lens first"
I remember old Canons having trouble to TTL with many UW strobes, as they were biased in Nikon TTL.
This is even more true in the few first years of digital shootingwe are going through.
If I were to chose it now, the 10.5mm and 105mm would make a lot of weight.
Also as a Nikon user the incompatibilty issues between lens-bodies that Canon really block any attempt of looking at their side of the fence.

Our staff of 12 photographers at the paper I work at switched to Canon last year after using Nikon since the 60's. There are several reasons but the biggest reason is that we were constantly getting cameras repaired for stupid reasons, ie., back focusing, rubber falling off the cameras. And Nikon's service started to stink. Even with our priority connections repairs were taking way too long. And the files just aren't as nice out of the camera as the Canons IMO.

So we spent in the neighborhood of $100 K making the switch. And I couldn't be happier. The Canon files are so much cleaner, especially at the high ISO's. Though Nikon is starting to catch back up with their newer cameras.

But let me clear up a couple misconceptions. First, with the Nikon lenses and motors. The older Nikon lenses, and lower line ones, are driven by a motor in the body. The newer, upper line lenses have the motor in the lens as do the upper line Canon lenses, making them focus just as fast. But I think my Canon lenses hold focus much better, with less searching then my Nikons. This is comparing both companies top line lenses.

Second, I don't think either one has a broad advantage in either upper line, or lower line. I think there are differences between comparable bodies and lenses though. For example, I'll take my Canon 16-35 over my old Nikon 17-35 any day. Same for my Canon 10-22 versus my old Nikon 12-24. The Canons are noticably sharper. But while my Canon 300/2.8 IS is as sharp as my Nikon 300/2.8 AF-S was, the tripod collar is the dumbest design I've ever seen. Though you probably won't take either underwater. :D

Comparing 70-200's, I'll take the Canon. I gave back my Nikon 70-200 VR and was using an older 80-200 AF-S because the 70-200 couldn't hold focus on anything. It was terrible. But the VR worked nicely.

I also like the smaller focus points of the Canon over the Nikon focus points. They work better on smaller objects IMO.

The strobe systems are a wash for me. Neither TTL system is as good as they were with film cameras. I do really like the Canon wireless TTL though. It works pretty well

The issue with lens compatability is not a big issue IMO. Canon took their lumps in the
80's when they went to their AF system making it imcompatable with their old cameras. Nikon retained customers but at the expense of a faster AF system. Nikon finally started to catch up in the late 90's but by then it was too late for many. Sure you can use some old lenses on your AF Nikon but you can't take advantage of any of the good features such as TTL. At least not without getting the lens converted.

Canon has lenses that will only work on their smaller sensors such as the 10-22. Nikon has DX lenses that only work on their Digital cameras. I like the 1.3x crop factor of my Canon EOS 1D MKIIn's over the 1.5 crop factor of the Nikons. My 16-35 is still a workable wide angle lens. With my Nikons I always had to carry a 14mm to get a good wide lens. PITA! I do shoot a 20d UW though, with a 1.6x sensor, so I have a 10-22 for it.

It's funny that UW you see more Nikon shooters but in the world I work in, photojournalism, you just don't see Nikon as much anymore. They are still there but Canon is completely dominating. Wonder why? :wink:

good post Blade, thanks for your thoughts.. good to hear from someone who uses cameras full time and has a lot of experience with both camps.

now if you could just get a fisheye for your 20D you would be set. :wink:

Blade,

Thanks for the info. It's bee n while since I was in the biz (as evidenced by my post). I have not followed the world of digital SLRs, except living vicariously through my friends. That was a great post.

Mike Veitch:
However, Nikon is what real photographers useQUOTE]

nice shot across the bow :D

<smartbutt warning>

really then why is it when watching professional sports i see so many all white body lenses on the side?

:D

Scubatooth:
really then why is it when watching professional sports i see so many all white body lenses on the side?

Because they are cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom