Nikon or Canon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having shot Nikon film camera and Nikkor lenses, I'm biased towards Nikon. I just love Nikon glass and that was a big factor in my decision. Looked at the Canon lineup and there are some excellent dSLR bodies, but in the end Nikon won over for me. But that's just me.

I know this opens a long diatribe among users but I hope to have neutral suggestions considering I must buy everything, lens included.

Macro: which is better?

I think this is a camera I won't change for a long time and actually it's a very expensive camera for me...

thank you all for suggestions.

Bye, Marco

Macro capability is very similar for both. In the past, Canon 50mm macro is not quite as good as Nikon 60mm macro as it can't do 1:1 without a converter however Sigma took care of that problem. Canon now also has 60mm macro that will do 1:1 but I don't know much about that. Nikon 105mm is very comparable to Canon 100mm although I expect Canon 100mm USM to focus faster than Nikkor 105mm.
Nikkor 70-180mm has no Canon equavalent. While the picture quality is not quite as good as 60mm/105mm, it does add more versatility to macro photography and is my favourite lens to use.

I'm biased too. My land camera is a Nikon.

My first thoughts when I read the title "Nikon or Canon"

hmmmmm....sounds like do I want the Cadillac? or just a Chevy. :crafty:

Marco -

One of the problems of trying to find truly unbiased help in this category is that many shooters are brand loyal. It's an expensive prospect to think about finding someone who has good experience with two diverse brands - so you may end up comparing apples to elephants.

Many have started out with one brand or the other and then switched over to the other. BUT the models they used were probably quite different.

I guess I haven't met many who have shot with both, say the Canon 20D and the Nikon D70 - yes, many have tried them both, but not many have really gotten to know each camera by using each extensively; the costs in having two complete and entirely different systems aren't worth it. It's still a matter of personal preference.

On the up side, I doubt you can go too wrong with either choice - just do your research to make sure you are choosing lenses and housings that will allow you to do what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom