Nikon just re-registered the “NIKONOS” trademark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could almost hammer nails with the Nikonos body. Sigh . . .

The Nikonos RS had a digital back for some of the Navy spooky types, built by Kodak and called the DCS 425, and never sold to the public.

Not a mirrorless, it's an SLR, but it has gorgeous glass (some of the best that Nikon has ever produced) and the autofocus worked a treat. Rated to 100m.

I purchased mine from a guy who took it to Antarctica to shoot for National Geographic.

@Trace Malinowski have you tried to sell yours on Nikonians.org? If they require you to become a member, I can list it for you as i’m a member there.

The southern rebels once said -- some still say loud and clear ...
"Save your Confederate money for the south shall rise again"

Now the divers are saying
"Save your Nikonos for Nikon shall rise again"

My wife and I have 5 or 6 Nikonos and one Calypso with assorted lens and various attachments, all have been converted into dust collectors and objects perched on the den shelf

@Compressor Thanks for the heads up on Nikonians.org-- will certainly look into the organization

Sam Miller, III

PS
While in practice I had a flooded Nikonos (my motto there has never been a camera that I couldn't flood)
Which I knocked out the lens with a hammer and planted a small cactus in it with a small sign:
" A tribute to UW Photography …"
sdm

Hmmm... my first attempts at underwater imaging were with a Nikonos II back in late 1969. My results were so bad I didn't shoot another U/W image for two decades (but did use the camera to record the kayak excursions I led in the 1970s). Camera was not at fault... it was operator error. Mea culpa!

oooo man... flashback

The Nikonos III, the '69 Mustang of underwater cameras

old camera.jpg

100% pure speculation but ...

Many camera manufacturers (Olympus and Canon come to mind) also make underwater housings for some of their cameras. This week, Nikon introduced the Z6 and Z7 Full Frame mirrorless cameras. Wouldn't it be interesting if Nikon renewed the "Nikonos" brand in the form of housings for the Z6 & Z7?

There is nothing to indicate that this is happening, I am just drawing a (non-existant) cause & effect relationship between the timing of the new camera line announcement and the trademark renewal. :stirpot:
:rofl3:

100% pure speculation but ...

Many camera manufacturers (Olympus and Canon come to mind) also make underwater housings for some of their cameras. This week, Nikon introduced the Z6 and Z7 Full Frame mirrorless cameras. Wouldn't it be interesting if Nikon renewed the "Nikonos" brand in the form of housings for the Z6 & Z7?

There is nothing to indicate that this is happening, I am just drawing a (non-existant) cause & effect relationship between the timing of the new camera line announcement and the trademark renewal. :stirpot:
:rofl3:

Also possible they are looking into building an 'UW' version of those cameras like the semi-recent Nikon 1 AW1 which could go down to about 50 feet without a case.

I'd bet that Nikon is also working on 'DX' crop sensor versions of their 'Z' mirrorless line, and that is where a Nikonos branded product is likely to first show up, either as a case or a specialized camera. No idea if they would do this, but it seems like the smart thing would be to make a waterproof body with a lens port mount, allowing for a ton of lens options at release.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom