Nikon D90 Underwater Shots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys,

I am new here, and found this thread from a google search. We are leaving in a week and will be diving. I would REALLY like to get something for our D90. What is recommended these days?

Thanks in advance!

Yea I am afraid I wont make it for this trip. I would like to be $2000 or less but would go slightly higher if the quality is there. I have lenses already... I really like my Nikkor 1:1.4g 50mm and my Sigma 10-20. Not sure how to make those work with any of these though.

It's not too late. I ordered my D90 housing from b&h photo video two days before leaving for cozumel. Paid a not totally unreasonable amount for overnight shipping and had it in my hands less than 24 hours after ordering it. It sounds like you're far enough out that you could do 2 or 3 day shipping to save a little bit. It's worth calling them after you place your order to make sure they get it shipped right away if you're going to go for it before your trip.

I got the ikelite housing and domes and am pretty pleased with it, by the way. It fits well within your budget, so I'd recommend it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I was checking out B&H and it looks like I could get it in time, but I wonder about the ports I would need? I have the standard D90 kit lens, a 50mm 1:1.4g, and a sigma 10-20mm. Not even sure what would be best for underwater, but I really like the 50mm 1.4 and it seems like it might be the easiest, but I see no port for it lol. Not really sure which direction to go at this point, or if B&H even has any of these ports in stock.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have!

I really like the 50mm 1.4 and it seems like it might be the easiest, but I see no port for it lol.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have!

Chris, people rarely use the 50mm underwater, because it doesn't focus up close, try taking a photo of something small with it at home, and you'll see :)

It will fit in the 60mm flat port. Get a +2 or +3 diopter for it (make sure you get the right size diopter, 52mm), that will allow closer focus and more magnification, and you'll be good to go until you get a 60mm lens one day.

Scott

Yea I am afraid I wont make it for this trip. I would like to be $2000 or less but would go slightly higher if the quality is there. I have lenses already... I really like my Nikkor 1:1.4g 50mm and my Sigma 10-20. Not sure how to make those work with any of these though.

I've just bought a used Sigma 10-20mm. It has a reputation as an excellent w/a lens for underwater use. You'll need a dome port (check with Ikelite which is best for this lens) and a zoom gear (assuming Ikelite make one), unless you're happy presetting the lens to e.g. 10mm and using it as a fixed lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom