Nikon D90 on a Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought about that a little bit. If Ike sold a D90 backplate, perhaps it costs $500. After all, it probably takes almost as much work/money/time to make that part as the front part because of the electronics and the number of machining and assembly operations.

You could sell your old D80 housing for $700 (a good deal for somebody out there) and buy a new housing for $1200. In the end, you spend the same amount and somebody gets a good deal for a D80.

I'm hoping to use my D80 until there is a D400. I thought I wanted the D90 but decided that it wasn't enough of an improvement. Liveview is marginally useful underwater and I think that the movie mode would be useless without autofocus. If you are using any kind of zoom lens, you would have to chose between having the zoom function or the manual focus function. I can't see dealing with manual focus underwater.

David

I thought about that a little bit. If Ike sold a D90 backplate, perhaps it costs $500. After all, it probably takes almost as much work/money/time to make that part as the front part because of the electronics and the number of machining and assembly operations.

You could sell your old D80 housing for $700 (a good deal for somebody out there) and buy a new housing for $1200. In the end, you spend the same amount and somebody gets a good deal for a D80.

I'm hoping to use my D80 until there is a D400. I thought I wanted the D90 but decided that it wasn't enough of an improvement. Liveview is marginally useful underwater and I think that the movie mode would be useless without autofocus. If you are using any kind of zoom lens, you would have to chose between having the zoom function or the manual focus function. I can't see dealing with manual focus underwater.

David

On the other hand you can keep the D80 housing and buy the rear door off the D90 for the fictional price of $500 and have basically two setups. If the D90 floods you have the rear door and the D80 camera to go straight in. I wish I could get a new D90 Ikelite housing for $1200. They are more like $1400.

I am most likely going to keep both and hopefully have two full setups (D80 and D90).

I think I will get a good life out of both cameras until Nikon make a full frame sensor camera with more than 24MP at an affordable price (D3x isnt affordable). Maybe its going to be the D400 or a D800. I dont expect anything within the next 12-18 months tho which will be time I would be updating again.

I didn't buy the D90 for the Video or the Live view which as you said will have a limited use underwater. Its all the other features which are packed into it at a great price.

Regards Mark

On the other hand you can keep the D80 housing and buy the rear door off the D90 for the fictional price of $500 and have basically two setups. If the D90 floods you have the rear door and the D80 camera to go straight in. I wish I could get a new D90 Ikelite housing for $1200. They are more like $1400.

I am most likely going to keep both and hopefully have two full setups (D80 and D90).
Regards Mark

Good point about keeping both cameras. That hadn't occurred to me because I can only afford to upgrade if I sell the old setup.

I do like the D90 a lot, just not enough to spend the money.

David

Good point about keeping both cameras. That hadn't occurred to me because I can only afford to upgrade if I sell the old setup.

I do like the D90 a lot, just not enough to spend the money.

David

I think it would be good business for Ikelite to have something like a members program. Like some car manufactures do (Mazda for example). They send out heaps of information every year and cheap gift, even when we bought the car like 5 years ago.

When you register your details for your Ikelite products ie housing, strobes etc etc. They send you information direct about new products. Offer test drives so to speak at dealers. Offer upgrades to current users at discounted prices (Canon 40D to 50D is a prime example). Notices for service on gear. The list goes on.

Alot of people have some sort of Ikelite product and I beat they would be interested in new information about their products and services.

If they sent D80 housing owners a questionaire about if they would buy the rear door off a D90 to fit in their D80 at a heavierly discounted price I would believe that they would get alot of interest especially from people who were not looking at updating just yet.

Something for Ikelite or other camera housing companies to think about.

Cheers Mark

Back
Top Bottom