Nikon D80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AstroDad:
Really? As soon as they announced the F4 I just "had" to have one. Ditto the F5. Ouch, That reminds me - a $2500 body worth about $100 now.... Ouch.

Well, I won't even discuss what I sold my Hassy kit for... but I sold my F4s for about $500 just a couple months ago on Ebay.

I understand the sentiment. Before I stopped shooting film I used OM1's on the scopes. The OM1 is hard to beat for astrophotography - nothing is lighter and it runs without a battery - you don't want a camera to go dead 1.5 hours into a 3 hour image. However, for 'normal' imaging I found the F4/F5 bodies hard to beat. The F5 is still one of my favorite cameras...

_Bella_:
Nope, I had a Nik V's for 8 years, an F100 for 5 years. They were strictly uw use and I never needed the Pro features uw. My land only cameras are 10 and 12 years old. I like old, simple, classic kit. :blinking:

I didn't think they were going that high. I might have to reconsider selling the F5. Yea, MF cameras went down FAST in resale value. I have a boat load of RB67 and 4x5 gear that no one seems to want... at any price.

RonFrank:
Well, I won't even discuss what I sold my Hassy kit for... but I sold my F4s for about $500 just a couple months ago on Ebay.

AstroDad:
I understand the sentiment. Before I stopped shooting film I used OM1's on the scopes. The OM1 is hard to beat for astrophotography - nothing is lighter and it runs without a battery - you don't want a camera to go dead 1.5 hours into a 3 hour image. However, for 'normal' imaging I found the F4/F5 bodies hard to beat. The F5 is still one of my favorite cameras...

My OM-1 gear is something I'll never sell. Astrophoto was a hobby for a while, but it's hard to stay up all night and then dive all day.
The value is pretty low now anyway, but the nostalgia factor is too high to part with it. My husbands uncle has some classic pinhole and brownies that we'll likely inheret when he passes. Beauties!

The trick is to not go diving the morning after you're up all night with the scopes. That's probably a true statement with most night life activities! :)

Well, I did it. I bought a D80 yesterday. That fact that it uses SD memory cards kinda bites, but otherwise it's a LOT of camera for the money. Now the wait for a housing begins....

PSST: I cleaned up that F5 and some other gear that was just collecting dust and posted it on eBay. Holy Crap - now I have $2100 to play with (that the wife has no dibs on)!!! Correction, $1100 after the D80 purchase...

_Bella_:
Astrophoto was a hobby for a while, but it's hard to stay up all night and then dive all day.

I may get one or two of these, as soon as Aquatica releases a housing. SD is OK, a 4GB card will go a long way. When I am shooting for keeps ($$), I usually change cards between each dive.

Just put in my order for a D80 .... now for the wait to see when it ships.
Found the best deal online at Ritz / Wolf camera as they have free shipping
and no sales tax, which in Fla at 6% saved me $78,
plus found a coupon code for using Google checkout code ritzb2s
for another $10 off.

Still gotta find a good deal on SD cards and a spare battery
as I have a stack of CF cards.

Anybody wanna buy a well used Sony D770? :D

I picked mine up at Ritz too. They have them in stock now...

SFLDiver:
Found the best deal online at Ritz / Wolf camera as they have free shipping
and no sales tax, which in Fla at 6% saved me $78,
plus found a coupon code for using Google checkout code ritzb2s
for another $10 off.

SFLDiver:

I get my flash cards from ebay, usually from places in Hongkong. the prices are like 1/2 of what Tiger direct and other biggies charge. brand names are not an issue as long as you know who actually makes the card. most brands are nothing but a sticker.

I got 1GB high speed cards for $16, 2GB for under $30

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom