Nikon D7000 versus Canon EOS 7D for DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I decided to spend a little more money and invest in an entry-mid level DSLR setup and I am looking at either the Nikon D7000 or Canon EOS 7D which are both good SLR cameras. Which would you recommend and why? Also for housing what brand would you recommend? I know that Subal and Seacam are nice and expensive but what housing is good but not plastic low end like Ikelite?

I'm pretty sure you're just going to get recommendations based on what people own (few of us have had the luxury of actually using multiple such setups). I've been quite happy with our Nikon D7000 and Aquatica housing. So far, just using it (underwater) for video.

[vimeo]45667348[/vimeo]

[vimeo]36954193[/vimeo]

[vimeo]38050067[/vimeo]

Looks nice- I have heard that Canon has the edge over Nikon in video BUT for choice of lens and still photography the Nikon has the advantage.

Looks nice- I have heard that Canon has the edge over Nikon in video BUT for choice of lens and still photography the Nikon has the advantage.

Maybe on some models canon beats out Nikon's video, but not with the 7D vs d7000. And the d7000 obliterates the 7d for stills (especially due to the DR afforded by the Sony sensor tech).

That said, I think canon has the more compelling lens lineup (the TSE is maybe the best landscape lens short of the odd Zeiss or Voigtländer), and I prefer canon ergonomics. I find the d7000 hard to hold. There isn't enough space between the grip and the lens mount, or it's an awkwardly shaped grip, or both. Of course, ergo isn't a huge concern of your main usage is in a housing.

In any case, I tend to recommend the d7000 to people who are just getting started, though I almost changed teams from canon to get the d800.

Re housings, I've handled a few (though I don't personally own an SLR housing), and Rainer's is probably the nicest I've seen.

Thanks guys, I will check out both cameras with and without housing this weekend before my trip. Ikelite makes a low cost housing but it received bad reviews for both the Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras. So I am leaning toward either Aquatica, Sea&Sea or Nauticam.

I had the same decision to make recently, I decided to go with the D7000. My wife has the 7d, both produce similar quality images but the nikon is cheaper and slightly lighter weight. The 7d autofocus does seem a bit quicker than the d7000 however.
I went with the new nauticam na-d7000v housing, which I highly recommend.

I had the same decision to make recently, I decided to go with the D7000. My wife has the 7d, both produce similar quality images but the nikon is cheaper and slightly lighter weight. The 7d autofocus does seem a bit quicker than the d7000 however.
I went with the new nauticam na-d7000v housing, which I highly recommend.

Sounds good. I can use a store credit I spent on the Olympus setup package toward the DSLR camera package and lens.

Of course, ergo isn't a huge concern of your main usage is in a housing.

I really think ergonomics is in large part defined but what you're used to using. I've shot Nikon for years and can't stand holding/using a Canon. Just feels "off". Canon users tend to feel the same about Nikons. You really should just head over to a camera store and pick up both models to see which you prefer. As Blackwood notes, though, if your main use of the camera will be in a housing, who cares.

As for video functions, the only benefit I see to Canons is that they have traditionally offered a few more resolution/frame rate options. I've been quite happy with the video I've gotten from the D7000. I think it certainly outperforms the 7D for stills.

Thanks guys, I will check out both cameras with and without housing this weekend before my trip. Ikelite makes a low cost housing but it received bad reviews for both the Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras. So I am leaning toward either Aquatica, Sea&Sea or Nauticam.

I have held both, and I too agree with Blackwood on the egronomics. The Canon 7D felt much better in my hands, it was more of natural feel for me, and the D7000 felt more cramped. However, I would highly recommend the Nauticam housing, I am more partial to Nauticam. They just make a rock solid housing, and Chris Parson is very good with returning emails, and such. I would advise against the Ikelite DSLR housing because of port connection. Chris Parson with Nauticam showed me why Ikelite in better terms "suck". The port is held on by 4 little plastic tabs, and with very little effort, they can deform and the o-ring can become unseated. If you getting a DSLR, then I would recommend to get a good high quality housing. If the camera floods, not only do you loose the camera but also the lens. IMHO, shooting with a $1,200 camera, $1,000 lens, Ikelite housing and no insurance is just asking for a flood.

But Ikelite makes some awesome Point and Shoot housings, tho.

I have also read a rumor that Nikon and Canon are going to replace these cameras later this year, or early next year. But will have to wait and see what comes out.

I really think ergonomics is in large part defined but what you're used to using. I've shot Nikon for years and can't stand holding/using a Canon. Just feels "off". Canon users tend to feel the same about Nikons .

I think control layout and menu navigation has a lot more to do with what you're used to than overall shape and size (i.e. feel).

After a short disappointing stint with Olympus (in their CCD days) I used to shoot a "rebel" series canon (350D). My main impetus to upgrade it was feel. It's smaller and, to my hands, more cramped than the prosumer models - it feels a bit like the Nikon's I've handled.

As you say, best bet is to hit up a camera store and see what feels good to you. Or, if it's just an underwater rig, buy the D7000 - it's a superior camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom