Nikon D40 Housing vs. Sea&Sea Dx860G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend the P&S approach.
I have been using a canon S70 last 2 years. Recently i flooded 2 of them.

I spent a long time thinking about upgrading to DSLR(had 100+dives with P&S ). I have a Nikon D80 which i have been using topside for a year. Its a nice camera. But the bottom line is that it cost a lot of $ to take it underwater.
Looking at the cost of the housing alone is not realistic. When you add all the bits & pieces you end up double/triple the cost (housing/stobe/strobe firing/arms/lens/ports.....)There is not much point housing a DSLR unless you get a couple of lenses (Wide & Macro). The kit lens will be an in between lens (not good at wide & not good at macro )

In the end i bought a S80 and a G9.(i learned the hard way that having a back up camera is a good idea).
I use the S80 for wide as i have the Inon UWL & dome. G9 is for video & macro.
Macro & video on the G9 are great. Having Inon UCL & UWL add ons are great.
Also being able to hack Raw into various canon models is also a big plus.

In my opinion P&S is the way to go. The quality from P&S are sufficient in most cases for the average diver as long as you know how to use the camera. The results are sufficient to show friends,web & to print out large size. I suggest you look at Eds & Junglematts photo galleries for what a good P&S can do in the right hands.

On a recent trip one diver on the liveaboard i was on had a Canon DSLR (not sure what model) & ikelite housing. He was using the standard kit lens with a 4 to 6" standard port. During the dives i was amazed how he used his set up. He was always at least 1-2 m away from the subject matter. I would not have swaped my S80+UWL+Dome for his set up.

Weight and bulk are also an issue travelling and diving with a DSLR.

Unless you are really prepared to spend big bucks (or get a decent setup second hand) and make a reasonable commitment i would avoid housing your DSLR without first checking out the capabilities of a decent P&S.

I would also suggest you give the Sea &Sea 1G a miss.(no experience using this but have talked to several divers who are not happy with the 1G)

If you are starting from scratch i would recommed a new Canon A model (get one that you can hack raw, one with the new sensor (III), canon housing, wet attached wide lens (Inon) & strobe. Unfortunately this will prob cost about $1200 but shop around.

in the same boat as you BIG BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have 2 d40 s
but for now p&s 590 is with ikelite housing saving up money not cheap!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom