Nikon D300 Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for manufacturers being optimistic about delivery dates. Yeah I know - but I'm equally as over optimistic about shooting the camera underwater so I bought into my own false expectations knowingly. Such is life :)

I actually had a very similar issue with my 5D housing (sorry Nikon forum members for mentioning the dark side) from Aquatica. The difference was that they were in production on my housing when I ordered it and I assumed that two months would be enough time to get my housing and dive it a couple of times before I left on a trip to Malaysia. After a long story, and lots of broken promises, I got a working Heinrichs TTL converter on the DAY before I left. Talk about the nick-of-time!

I'm waiting for my 3rd Ike housing to be delivered.
There are many good things with the Ike housing, like:

But there are also some drawbacks.

* finally: as far as I know there is no way to alter between LiveView and viewfinder.
I mean to set the D300 in LiveView mode you need to press the small button
and turn the knob that no control reaches.
Does any housing support this!?

/Fota

After using the D300 housed in my D300 housing a little (just in the pool so far...) I wanted to correct myself. Ikelite HAS made it very possible to change between LiveView and Single mode via some new controls (that I had missed!). Nikon has made it a little tricky (hold one button and turn another) but Ikelite has done a great job making it possible to change not only from Single to LiveView mode, but also to the mulitshot modes and self timer (now isn't that a good one!) etc.

/Fota

Any suggestions on a lightweight device to download to while I'm on vacation so that I don't have to carry a laptop with me? If I'm hoping to get something that may be published, should I shoot in both RAW and JPEG? Any suggestions on settings? Fine... or is normal okay? What do you guys who are pro's have your cameras set on?

New D300 owner here, and I would eventually like to get a housing for it. I think I'll probably go with the Ike, just because the price is so much more attractive than the aluminum housings. How much more am I looking at for a port and a decent set of strobes? What's the best all in one lens for UW use? (I currently have the 18-70 zoom that came with my D70, but would eventually like to upgrade that lens to something better, like the 17-55 2.8).

Do most companies offer flood guarantees on their housings? I'd like to have the piece of mind of knowing that I'll be able to replace a camera at little to no cost if the housing happens to flood. I'm currently using a Canon A620 in the Canon housing, but taking down a $180 camera is a lot different than a $1800 camera!

Do most companies offer flood guarantees on their housings? I'd like to have the piece of mind of knowing that I'll be able to replace a camera at little to no cost if the housing happens to flood. I'm currently using a Canon A620 in the Canon housing, but taking down a $180 camera is a lot different than a $1800 camera!

AFAIK only Fantasea offers a flood policy with their housing (but I could be wrong). I think generally, you just need to get flood insurance from DEPP, DAN or your general insurance carrier (personal items floater or specific policy for just your dive gear).

Anybody compare the Sea & Sea with the Seatool? They're only about $100 apart, Seatool offers an adaptor for Sea & Sea ports, the Seatool is much more compact, lighter and allows both optical and electric sync. Any downside? Button access? Configuration? Any port or gear compatibility issues, etc.?

Any suggestions on a lightweight device to download to while I'm on vacation so that I don't have to carry a laptop with me? If I'm hoping to get something that may be published, should I shoot in both RAW and JPEG? Any suggestions on settings? Fine... or is normal okay? What do you guys who are pro's have your cameras set on?

I would definetely shoot in RAW whenever I can. That is what a pro would do and even most hobbyists. This allows more flexibility when doing corrections/touch ups using software without degrading the picture quality too much. You certainly want the best picture quality you can get....

Do a Google search on the Vosonic 8390. That is what I use. It has a screen, reads RAW files too, has easy 1 touch backup for your pics and can even play movies. Battery life is decent and it reads all types of flash/CF cards you may come across.

Back
Top Bottom