Nikon D200 cheap, what am i missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcknight4:
I am in the market for a Nikon D80. There are a lot of discounters with prices and equipment packages all over the place. Has anyone tried http://www.expresscameras.com ? Some of these places say they have units in stock, but really don't. Who can you trust?

They list the D200 for $599, and the have a 2gig CF card for $199. Do you see a problem with that pricing? Is that a seller you can *trust* with your credit card, and your business?

Re-read this thread, it has all the advice you need to purchase online. If you have specific questions then post them and everyone will do their best to help.

Warren_L:
Do a quick search on the site, and you'll find lots like these: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Express_Cameras

If it were me, I'd run for the hills.
Not too surprising... reading those reviews (it's kind of what I expected to see - the old bait and switch is alive and well on the internet). That's a good site. Thanks for posting it.

If you (not you warren) are looking for a nikon camera seriously. I would look no further than NIKONUSA.COM and look up an authorized dealer. Expect to pay SRP for a quality camera though if you expect a bona fide Nikon USA warranty. (If you are buying one within the United States)

When I bought my D200 - I ended up buying locally instead of over the internet. Sure I may have paid $50 more than otherwise, but my local camera dealer will give me much more personalized service (if I need any) than some faceless store on-line. YMMV

mcknight4:
I am in the market for a Nikon D80. There are a lot of discounters with prices and equipment packages all over the place. Has anyone tried http://www.expresscameras.com ? Some of these places say they have units in stock, but really don't. Who can you trust?

FYI, I did order a D80 with 2 zoom lenses from this company. The package arrived promptly, and everything that I ordered was there, new and in the box, with all accessories. Guess I got lucky when you read the posts on the reference site that others have linked in this thread.

Would I order from this website again? Not likely based upon the inputs I have recieved here, but I did have good luck with them the one time that I have used them.

IslandFrog:
FYI, I did order a D80 with 2 zoom lenses from this company. The package arrived promptly, and everything that I ordered was there, new and in the box, with all accessories. Guess I got lucky when you read the posts on the reference site that others have linked in this thread.

Would I order from this website again? Not likely based upon the inputs I have recieved here, but I did have good luck with them the one time that I have used them.
Was there a Nikon USA warranty form in the box? Is it valid?

What kind of lenses did you get?

howarde:
Was there a Nikon USA warranty form in the box? Is it valid?

What kind of lenses did you get?

He likely overpaid for cheap glass. Companies like this are not total scams or they would never be in business. But they generally make their money by offering a product cheap, and then selling inexpensive third party glass and accessories at a huge margin to make up the difference.

If you call up, and try to get a D200 for $599, if you refuse to purchase accessories they will tell you the product is out of stock, and never ship. Eventually the consumer gives up and cancels the order. At least that is a very common MO for these types of places.

My bet is that the product was also grey. Their USA warranty is very likely offered in house. As I have not dealt this this place my post contains some speculation, but it's true to how most of these places work. The wholesale cost of the D200 is over $599, even grey, so they can not sell it for that price without making profit somewhere. $45 CF cards for $200 is a good example.

RonFrank:
He likely overpaid for cheap glass. Companies like this are not total scams or they would never be in business. But they generally make their money by offering a product cheap, and then selling inexpensive third party glass and accessories at a huge margin to make up the difference.

If you call up, and try to get a D200 for $599, if you refuse to purchase accessories they will tell you the product is out of stock, and never ship. Eventually the consumer gives up and cancels the order. At least that is a very common MO for these types of places.

My bet is that the product was also grey. Their USA warranty is very likely offered in house. As I have not dealt this this place my post contains some speculation, but it's true to how most of these places work. The wholesale cost of the D200 is over $599, even grey, so they can not sell it for that price without making profit somewhere. $45 CF cards for $200 is a good example.

Ron - I know how the scam works... I'm from NY originally remember?? I also used to work at a camera store... and a very good friend of mine used to work at 47th st photo (king of the "out of stock advertised price")

Dealers are most likely paying around $1300 for a new D200 from NikonUSA - based on the average markup for cameras.

howarde:
Ron - I know how the scam works... I'm from NY originally remember?? I also used to work at a camera store... and a very good friend of mine used to work at 47th st photo (king of the "out of stock advertised price")

:11: :11:

I was actually considering purchasing the Sigma 17-70mm lens from them.
Their price is the same as Sigma4less

Jamdiver:
:11: :11:

I was actually considering purchasing the Sigma 17-70mm lens from them.
Their price is the same as Sigma4less
It's not to say that they don't sell what they advertise. What I am saying is that they used to (and possibly still do) advertise the unbelieveable price in the newspaper, but then when you go into the store, you find out, "oh... sorry - we're out of stock on that item... but we do have this lovely Quantaray Lens for $xx.xx"

As long as you know what you're getting, and what the price should be, you'll probably get what you expect.

We are saying... don't expect to pay $599 for a D200 - it's not going to happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom