Nikon D200 cheap, what am i missing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are NO legitimate deals to be had on these kinds of cameras. If the price is really good, run away. If you do buy from some place like this, you will not get what you expected or they may sell you the parts for the camera separate! "Okay, you want the D200 camera body, would you like the electronics for the inside of that? :D"

Check the New York Better Business Bureau's Website. They have reports on most of the camera shops operating in New York. Many are not reputable and they advise purchase from them and list cases where one company operates under multiple different company names on the internet.

That price is way to good to be true. I checked some of them myself and they won't even rspond to an email if you ask any imprtant questions like does it include a USA Nikon Factory warranty. Ussually thy are grey market items and have no manufacturer's warranty.

Realistically there the D200 bodies are still over $1000 an will be for awhile do to the demand for them. Lenses are another matter as Nikon is notoiously slow keeping up with new lens demand and some of the new "DX" Lenses are hard to find and bringing a premium on the internet.

Happy Shopping!!!

I saw several sites for those prices also.

I am not so sure it isn't possible. They could be grey market, trans shipped or something.

If you buy with an Am X card what do you have to lose?

They will gaurantee your return if not satisfied. I actually rely on the dispute benefit a couple times a year for some satifaction leverage settlement with a vendor.

Catherine after looking at the site Alcina put up I wouldn't give these people my phone number little long my credit card number. I knew there was something wrong with it when I saw the price, but the little greed monster in my head kept telling me to give them a chance. I'm glad I asked before I gave in.

This sort of thing, unfortunately, is not uncommon. Without doing any research, I'd be willing to bet that there are a ton of reports about this operation offering low prices on camera bodies and then forcing people to buy accessories at high prices. If not, the camera bodies suddenly become out of stock. Same story over and over. As others have said, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

You might like to check out Allen and his crew at Allen's Cameras. Email Allenscamera@comcast.net

I've used him several times and I actually enjoy dealing with him. He's always provided great service and very good prices. No hard sell and honest, solid answers to my questions. Don't think I've ordered anything from him and then not rung back ten minutes later to add something additional, just because he's such a joy to work with and I don't have to think about it anymore!

List of authorized Nikon dealers in Brooklyn

1 STOP CAMERA & ELECTRONICS 1100 CONEY ISLAND AVE
BROOKLYN NY 11230 718-421-2211

ABE'S OF MAINE 1957 CONEY ISLAND AVE
BROOKLYN NY 11223 718-645-1818

ALL STAR CAMERA 4718 18TH AVE
BROOKLYN NY 11204 718-431-0610

D & H NEW YORK 7215 13TH AVE
BROOKLYN NY 11228 718-837-8316

DVA CENTER 7611 NEW UTRECHT AVE
BROOKLYN NY 11214 718-236-2133

FOCUS CAMERA 895 MCDONALD AVE
BROOKLYN NY 11218 718-437-8830

THE IMAGING WORLD 548 DRIGGS AVE
BROOKLYN NY 11211 718-218-7903

WIZARD DBR ELECTRONICS INC 863 MANHATTAN AVE
BROOKLYN NY 11222 718-349-6889

ZALMEN REISS & ASSOCIATES INC 171 47TH ST
BROOKLYN NY 11232 718-832-3456

--- Personally I know a few Nikon dealers, and they pay MUCH more than that at dealer cost, so something isn't right. Either they don't have them in stock, and that's the "out of stock price" :wink:

I wouldn't rely on a credit card's protection when buying products that are not intended for sale in the United States.

yes, I am a sucker.

But one week I saw several different sites touting the D-200 body for 688, 730..etc.

Giving your card number to a bad company is not really that dangerous...you are only liable for 50 dollars.... LOts of unethical companies have had mine, i know.

I bought a Stinger for 260 that was new...and I sent it to Suunto and they changed the battery ????

I just think people should know Am X stands behind you contesting charges. I have done this about ten times. It was actually very easy.

Calmly telling vendors that it's nothing personal and I can contest the entire charge with Am X, has led to speedy and satisfactory resolutions.

In fact, just this am I saw tax charges on a rental car that they now say "were not included in the package"....I called and said "not so fast slippery people, nice try.." and they took it off.

Back
Top Bottom