Nikon 10-20mm Potential

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've no experience with the Nikkor 10-20mm DX, but use the Nikkor 10-24mm DX extensively. Obviously, it has a 4mm advantage in zoom range over the 10-20mm. 4mm may not seem like much, but I'll take it if it gives me a little more reach. The 10-24mm produces exceptionally high quality underwater images. The majority of the photographs posted on my website (www.cortezbluephotography.com) were produced using the Nikkor 10-24mm DX. It's popular enough to have mini-domes designed for it, and on my Ikelite rig, it requires no close-up filter to focus.

Unless I'm shooting very large animals like manta rays, I'm not a fan of the Tokina fisheye zoom. I don't like the curvature that accompanies its use.

I recently picked-up a Nikkor 16-85mm DX and tested it on a recent trip to San Carlos, Sonora. Some photographs from the trip are posted on the Cortez Blue Photography Facebook page. The lens performed well for smaller subjects like fish and morays.

-AZTinman

Some beautiful photographyAZTinman. Do you use the new Ikelite housings or the FL one?

Thanks for your kind comment. Again, most of the photographs in my website portfolio were done with the Nikkor 10-24mm. The 10-24mm is an amazing lens for underwater work. It's much more versatile and practical than my Tokina fisheye zoom.

I currently use a Nikon D7100 with a FL Ikelite housing. I'll be returning the housing pretty soon to have the strobe electronics upgraded to work with both my D7100 and my D7200. When that upgrade is done, I'll shift to using the D7200 in the housing. The D7200 has a little better sensor for low-light stuff.

I also have a vintage Ikelite housing for a Nikon 8008s film camera that I still use. It actually only has two port extension locks. Of course, I still use a couple of Nikonos II and a Nikonos V cameras too.

I haven't looked at Ikelite's product line recently. I know Ikelite's has a new housing for the Nikon D500.

-AZTinman

Nikkor 10.5 has a great reputation as an underwater lens. Ikelite says best results for your D300 will be with FL8 dome and FL extension, but FL6 will work with less corner sharpness. 8" dome will also allow over/unders, but they're a pain to travel with. I like my Tokina 10-17, which takes very nice vista shots and big animals from right up to the port out to greater distances. Zooming to 17 allows less distortion and a cropped view for slightly smaller subjects or when your dive buddies fins are in the picture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom