Nikon 10-20mm Potential

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.
I have a Nikkor Fisheye 10.5mm lens. How would that work UW? Will it still show fisheye?
@compressor I don't shoot Nikon, but I have a good friend who did, and he shot the 10.5mm underwater extensively with very good results. Here are a few of his pics he shot with the 10.5mm lens:

AQC%202012%20%2810%20of%20169%29-X3.jpg

AQC%202012%20%2887%20of%20169%29-X2.jpg

A%20Over%20Under%20Shark%20dive%20090%20LAND-X2.jpg

I have a Nikkor Fisheye 10.5mm lens. How would that work UW? Will it still show fisheye?
Behind a dome port, yes. Dome and semidome ports give you the same FOV as you have topside

Thank you Rainer, Storker and Hoag for your guidance.
I love the pictures posted.

I looked at the metadata on the grouper photo. F/8 and look at the immense depth of field so characteristic of this lens.

This gives me yet another reason to upgrade my housing to the Ikelite DL system as my current dome for the FL system will vignette while in the DL system I would need pretty much one port for most of the lenses.

Last edited:
WOW. Even more spectacular are the beauty of these pictures as I look at them on a big screen.

WOW. Even more spectacular are the beauty of these pictures as I look at them on a big screen.
My friend is a very talented photographer. If you already have the 10.5mm fisheye, I think that you will be very happy with it underwater. As you can see, it is a very versatile lens.

My friend is a very talented photographer. If you already have the 10.5mm fisheye, I think that you will be very happy with it underwater. As you can see, it is a very versatile lens.

Very talented indeed.

Just a warning. I have had a fairly steep learning curve trying to master the fisheye. It takes some work to handle it, especially with strobes. Strobe placement and avoiding backscatter isn't trivial (at least to me, who dive fairly murky water and was more familiar with mastering the short tele perspective than the super WA perspective topside).

At least for me, a superwide rectilinear WA was easier to handle than the fisheye. So it's possible that you, too,will have to work a bit before you're happy with what the fisheye can do for you.

You can see a few of my pics on Flickr; the link is in my signature.

I used my Nikkor 10.5 until I purchased the Tokina 10-17, both are great lenses and of course the Tokina has more flexibility.

For the Sea&Sea housing I did have to install a spacer to accommodate the Tokina lens in the minidome.

Thank you Searcaigh. My 10,5 vignettes on my Ikelite dome port. I can buy another dome port or the Nikkor 10-20 (or Tokina). Given the prices now, I think I'll go for the lens.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom