Nikkor 12-24mm & Ikelite 6" dome port Q

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O'Malley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just picked up the Nikkor 12-24mm DX ED lens for my D80 this afternoon and got a quick Q: although Ikelite lists the 6" and 8" dome ports as interchangeable, the 8" is reccommended. Anyone have any insight if the 6" is doable with the +2 close-up lens attached...or should I just up the $150 for the 8"? Thanks...

I interpreted the Ikelite website to mean that the 6" will work, but the 8" will work better. I am personally buying a Tokina 12-24 and +2 diopter for use in an 8" dome. I would prefer not to travel with the larger dome, but I want the clearest picture possible.

Incidentally, I am buying the Tokina because it appears to be almost as good as the Nikon, for half as much money.

David
new D80 owner.

O'Malley:
Just picked up the Nikkor 12-24mm DX ED lens for my D80 this afternoon and got a quick Q: although Ikelite lists the 6" and 8" dome ports as interchangeable, the 8" is reccommended. Anyone have any insight if the 6" is doable with the +2 close-up lens attached...or should I just up the $150 for the 8"? Thanks...

The Nikkor 12-24mm will work fine with the 6" dome without a diopter. That was my first lens with the Ike housing. They recommend the 8" dome which will be a bit sharper on the edges when shooting wide out at 12mm. Here is an image that was shot with the 12-24mm wide out at 12mm with a 6" dome, no diopter:

city-of-cleveland-31.jpg

If the edges aren't too soft for your liking, go with the 6" port. I would suggest, though, if at some point if you're going to go wider with the 10.5mm (my new favourite lens), the 8" port would be the way to go.

As a side note, though, I love the 12-24mm lens when going down south. It gives me a bit more in way of options when shooting larger marine life as you can zoom in a little if needed.

More diopter will sharpen up the edges. I'm using a +4 with my Nexus FP170 port (170mm dia). Edges were not sharp with a +2. Just for reference.

I currently shoot the tokina 12-24 W/ 6" dome on an Ike and love it no diopter

Havnt had any issues with it ,Just got back from Cozumel last weekend
DSC_2742-1.jpg

Here's a link to the ikelite dome port chart for Nikon
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_nikon.html

You'll notice that the 12-24 says, "This zoom lens will focus close enough that adding a + diopter close-up to the lens is NOT required, but some people feel a +2 close-up lens may enhance corner sharpness. Longer port may be required to stack filters or close-up lenses."

O'Malley:

My thoughts are that the 8" dome port works for just about any WA lens from the 10.5/12-24mm/18-35mm/17-55mm. You may need a different extension for the bigger glass, but that port is a do it all port. If you purchase the 6" port, and then another lens, you may need a different 6" port. So for the $$$ the 8" may actually cost less in the end.

One caution with Ike Ports, they scratch easily. This does not impact photo quality UW, but just something to keep in mind, and can impact over/under shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom