Ni'ihau Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeRDar,

I've been wondering which wetsuit to wear. I thought I'd call the dive shop the day before and find out what they were wearing on the Friday trip before. I've got a 3mm and a brand new 5mm, which I bought when diving off Kauai this past February. Think I'll pack them both.....

I'd just take the 5mm. You can always flood it if you get too warm but if you get cold (in a 3mm), well, you are just cold.:wink:

I'd just take the 5mm. You can always flood it if you get too warm but if you get cold (in a 3mm), well, you are just cold.:wink:

I'd have to agree with teamcasa it is 1000 time easier to cool off than it is to heat up. once some people get cold the enjoyment is gone.

Just a couple of thoughts on wetsuits since I was just over to Ni'ihua and Mana crack.

I dove a 2mm full, 1-piece on the first dive and put on a 3mm vest for the remainder of the dives on each trip. I noticed layering being used a lot over here. I've worn shorties here many times, but changed to a full suit for the protection from the corral and stingies.

Secondly, I saw everything from 3/2mm to 5mm over here. The common thread is that people that live in a warm climate tend to need more protection. My partner from Vancouver used a 3/2mm with no problem (and I'm from Oregon). A couple from Chicago used the operators 5mm and she was fine and he was hot. BTW - he tried flooding and it didn't work well for him. The couple from S. California wore 5's and were just fine.

My suggestion would be to mull over your needs and local climate, then go a little bit light if need be, with a vest since it is a very low cost option that gives a little insurance.

Regarding wetsuits, as a mostly summertime diver, I'm usually comfortable with my 2-3 mm suit in Hawaii waters
but I always bring a hood and a lightweight pile long sleeve upper body layer just in case.
The adrenalin / endorphins that Niihau offers usually compensates for at least part of the chill.

Likewise, my kudos also go to Bubbles Below. They are a great operation.
-

The 3mm should be sufficient...water temp is up to 76 and should be 77-78 by the time you get here. However, if you get cold, you may want the 5mm. If you have not already booked your dive, I highly recommend Linda and Bubbles Below. Linda is one of the most knowledgeable divers on the island and is responsible for "developing" several of the dive sites that are now daily dive spots for the local facilities. You will have an amazing time while you are here. You may also want to look into diving tunnels (lava tubes and more) while you are on island.

Aloha:D

I did 8 dives in kauai last week. I used the shops 3mm full suit and it was fine for me.
the shop was very concience about everyones comfortbility with cold and offered more layers to those who wanted it. Kauai water is like bath water compaired to oregon

We'd freeze in a 3mm if we planned on multiple dive days. First couple of days, we'd be okay. But by the end of our trip, we'd be unhappy campers.

I agree with the 5mm recommendation.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'll be calling the dive shop (SeaSport) tomorrow, and getting the latest report from the Ni'ihau divemasters on which I should dive in. I'll make my decision depending on the water temperature. In February, with water @ 74 degrees, I really, really needed the 5ml. Anything over 80 degrees, and my 3ml is plenty of warmth for me. Maybe I'll just pack both....

Back
Top Bottom