Ni'ihau Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjarens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Getting excited about upcoming Ni'ihau trip in June. Any suggestions from those who've already been?

Here's a link to my report from a trip I made last July
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/243333-kauai-dive-report-links-video-pictures.html

Here's just the Niihau version:
Tuesday, July 8 (Seasports Divers, Poipu) Youtube Video
Niihau Island Lehua Crater

Diving Niihau is some of the best wall and drift diving on the planet. Niihau also proved to be a challenge for those who buoyancy skills need more work. However, with the vis at 100 plus, abundant fish, reef sharks, very healthy coral and a visit by a shy monk seal, it was truly an amazing place to spend three hours under the sea.

It is hard to describe just how beautiful this place is, both above and below. We started out mooring up at the Pinnacle site. Here we dived the walls and plateaus of this crater. We saw several small reef sharks, spotted eagle rays and dozens of brightly colored nudibranchs. A field of cushion stars and leather coral. The plateau is remarkably flat and the walls that drop sharply into the abyss.

For our second dive, we motored around to the West side of the crater for a nice surface interval and prepared for a dive in the Keyhole. This dive drop off is with out comparison for absolute beauty. The azure blue color of the sea contrasted by the sharp rise in rock with a sliver of light coming through the ÅÌeyhole was like no other site. After exiting the keyhole and dropping to 80 90 we felt the soft current push us North to the tip of the crater where our crew waited to pick us up. This drift had more of the most amazing walls and pinnacles IÃ×e ever experienced. Some on the boat were a little surprised at just how vertical these wall were. The bottom was so deep, it was never seen. Think abyss. Proper control and awareness of your buoyancy were required to keep from meeting Davey Jones!

Our last dive was off Lehu Ledge. We were treated to more cushion stars, a very shy lion fish, a shy monk seal, several more reef sharks, spotted eagle rays gracefully glided by and more small nudibranchs. Since this was a drift dive, each diver was supplied a SMB should you get swept from the lead dive master that sent his own SMB up on a reel.

All in all, diving Niihau and Lehua Crater was an amazing experience but not for the faint of heart. This dive should only be attempted by divers with confident control over their buoyancy and not prone to panic. That combined with a three hour each way channel crossing, this is an all day affair but one worth taking.

We went a few years ago with Seasport Divers and had a great time. Have fun!

I did a trip out there in August a few years ago! Amazing!!!! Don't know about "shy" monk seals... we had one that kept rolling over to show us his good side!!!
Tiger cowries the size of fists, and some of the most amazing UW topography!
You will love this place!

As others have said, its an amazing place.

A place called 'Vertical Awareness' stands out as one of my favorite dive sites.
Wow.
-

Greetings Teamcasa,

Thanks so much - your report has really got me pumped up. I've been wanting to do this trip for two years. I dive with SeaSport every February when we visit the island for three weeks, and love the dives along the south end of the island. I'm making a special trip back to Kauai in June just to dive Ni'ihau, twice, on both the Tuesday and Friday boat trip. I'll check back after our return.

Ni'ihau is the best diving we've done in Hawaii (Maui, Kona, and Kauai) and ranks as one of our favorites of all time. The topography is simply mind blowing. Surface intervals, we saw whales and swam with pods of dolphins.

We dove with Bubbles Below, and couldn't have been happier.

Second time over just this weekend.

I've used several operators here in Kauai, and have gotten to know several operations and people in the process. I would definitely say that Bubbles Below consistently has the best people and the best rig for doing the job. (I've spent 23 weeks here in Hawaii over the past 14 years. That and I've been boating here in the Pacific and working on boats recreationally for over 30 years.)

That's backed up by some of the people that have worked the business here in Hawaii.

I haven't seen the warning about the trip back. Just remember it's about 2 hours of beating to windward and against the current coming back. If you have a problem with seasickness, bad knees or back then be prepared.

Lastly, this is the best spot in Hawaii for diving. A second to this trip is the run up the Napali coast. I think Bubbles is the only one that does this trip.

Agreed, this is one of the best sites going. If you like topography, you'll love Lehua. You have a lot to look forward to.

As far as suggestions, not sure what you're looking for. For operator, we went with Fathom Five and were very happy. Nice boat, great guides, doesn't get much better. Haven't tried anyone else so can't compare.

As far as the dives, they are just a touch colder than here on Oahu, so if you're easily chilled, maybe grab a hood or that 5mm. I was fine in a 3mm, but my wife was freezing in a 3mm with hood.

And as far as the ride back, well, cross your fingers. The chop can kick up in the afternoon and make for a long, rough, back-beating ride home. We had a pretty rough ride on our trip and it was still totally worth it.

MikeRDar,

I've been wondering which wetsuit to wear. I thought I'd call the dive shop the day before and find out what they were wearing on the Friday trip before. I've got a 3mm and a brand new 5mm, which I bought when diving off Kauai this past February. Think I'll pack them both.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom