Niihau is simply a must do in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug!

Aloha my friend!
I send some detailed info on Niihau to you soon. Runnin' like crazy but would do whatever I could to help you plan the trip. I dove in (and absolutely loved) Maui for a number of years as a tourist and couple as a DM/instructor. Molokini rocks for sure and is a must see - but Niihau is completely different.

Anyway, forgive me for being short on time but I will send some detailed info.

Best of underwater experiences to ya! and we will chat soon!
A

Novelty???? Grrrrrrrr...... ok, just kidding. Niihau is a sweet adventure that is a bit of trip that few will ever see. That may be considered a novelty by some for sure. For me and many others who have seen it... The draw of Niihau is the unique topography, likely encounters with curious and sometimes territorial marine life (often not used to seeing divers), some of the largest caverns and lava tubes in the state... I can and will go on and on :) Accessability...well, not so much. But that is part of the draw and why Niihau stays relatively pristine and offers the encounters it does.

As for the sharks if that is your interest. I led a trip to south point last week on the 3 tank Niihau run and it was very active with sharks. In addition - a couple of large Galapagos sharks have been spotted numerous times in the last 3 weeks. Maybe the most exciting for me was a large hammerhead at Vertical Awareness last week.

So, while never a certainty - sharks are often seen and often more than one species.

I'll post some more info. Keep the pm's coming. I will respond as soon as I can. As for the overnighters... we are working on having them available for 4 divers per trip (runs starting in 09'). My fingers are crossed! Yahooooooooo!

All my best to those of you considering this amazing dive. More to come...

p.s. someone was asking about how many monk seals per dive? While it varies I have had monk seals on at least 2 or the 3 dives every trip this season. I have also seen as many 4 at one time on one trip this year. Often the monk seals stay with you for extended portions of the dives as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom