night fossil diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4LifeSW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Turning 40... love fossil diving, love night diving... anyone ever been night diving along the Venice area? Thoughts on site location (maybe Alhambra blocks?) appreciated... Good hunting to all....

Not that I have heard of. It can be enough of a challenge during daylight hours. If you try it I will be interested to see how it went.

I think Walter did a New Years Eve dive one year. It didn't sound like he was too impressed with it. I think Sharkwatcher may have done a couple on the blocks.

Unless you go out miles, you can't dive "in shore" at night in the G.O.M. I've dove Venice off the beach 20+ times, and have gotten 1 or 2k of teeth.. in the daytime.... but I've traveled up there to do it over 40. More often than half... dives get aborted due to lack of visibility. It's so murky there, more often than not you can't see your hand in front of your mask. Visibility is good enough on a rare DAY to shark tooth dive. I doubt I'd even ever try at night. Be prepared to get your gear wet and abort. I wouldn't do it at night.

Oh, and I've been up there (to Venice) at least 8 times this year and either aborted every time or couldn't find any. Up until this year... it wasn't as bad up there. The murkiness has gotten worse in the last year. In fact.. in the almost 5 years I've been diving... Venice, and down here in the Ft Myers/Naples area.. the water quality, "in shore" here in the G.O.M. has steadily gotten worse every year. Personally, I blame the ruining of the natural Florida watershed and the Everglades due to greed, money minded politicians, overpopulated yard fertilizers and golf courses.. but mostly it's the polluted Lake O runnoff caused by poor Corp of Engineers engineering on Lake O's dam and the paving over Orlando for Disney didn't help either... and now we may get oil? "No Drill - No Spill". The water is still blue over on the other coast, for now. You can dive Merritt Island or Jacksonville for shark teeth there, but those are river mouths. Don't do it at night. Sharks feed in those river mouths at night.

There are several of us that regularly night dive the blocks at South Brohard, including one of the DMs at our shop (Florida Underwater Sports) who leads night dives at the blocks on wednesday nights, doing two dives, a twilight and a night dive. Vizibility has been a bit of a problem this year. Normally the viz is best on incoming tides but this year there has been a thick silt layer that has been moving shoreward/seaward with the tides and outgoing tides seem to have the best vizibility. Contact Florida Underwater sports Florida Underwater Sports - Scuba Diving in Sarasota! for info on night dives.

I'm going for my first night dive in Venice on the 14th with Scuba Quest out of Cape Coral. Hopefully vis will be decent. **fingers crossed**

There was a group gearing up at dusk a couple of weeks ago at the Alhambra site. They were around a van with the logo "Ghost Pro"

They looked too busy to interrupt so I never found out what they were doing (other than an obvious night dive)

"Paranormaldivers.com" was also on the van, and this is their site:FAQ

None of which adds to the night diving information

dkramer:
I think Walter did a New Years Eve dive one year. It didn't sound like he was too impressed with it. I think Sharkwatcher may have done a couple on the blocks.

I did on my New Year's Eve dive 2004 - 2005. I see no reason to repeat the experience.

lol A dive bud of mine and I have been toying with the Idea as well. We were thinking of droping lights of the boat about 15' or so. and using our own personal dive lights as well of course. I dont think it would be to bad... sometimes the viz out there is top to bottom. were just thinking the 3-4 droplights would be an added amount of security. I know theres alot of sharks out there feeding at night. I only wounder if the light would atract them...... but like I said just toying with the idea....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom