Night diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you start at twilight you may see the most aquatic life. That's when the day creatures are heading home and the night animals are coming out.

For a beach marker, try one of those stick-in-the ground reflectors, like you may mark the side of a driveway with. Ace Hardware was them, and you can tape a light stick on it, too.

so any other suggestions? thanks guys!

I love night dives, they are some of my favorites and it is a very different experience. I had a nice one just last night.

My thoughts on the topic can be read here.

Pete

When diving at night I always have a strobe (gives a good location when turned on for Sar crews to find a diver on the surface if he/she need help) there a re a few that are good to
200 fsw and some ChemLights (glow sticks) if all else fails they work no batterys, one on your tank helps you and your buddy to see each other. And check that your flashlight does not affect the Compass some do. And have fun its a blast diving at night!

I assume you're getting there via boat since the park closes at 8pm. I've been in St. Andrew's Jetties many times during the day and for sure a night dive would be amazing. Are any of your buddies Air Force?

Another consideration-vehicle keys. I know many divers who hide a key to their vehicle under a rock or something during a shore dive. Personally, I think this is insane. I have a spare key zip tied to my gear that I use. Anyways, if you are a "hider", you need to make sure you can actually find your keys when it's dark, and I don't recommend marking the location with a glow stick! For your own good, please don't post up here where you plan on keeping them...
hmmm... need to figure that out too. im sure i can find a spot to keep them.
I assume you're getting there via boat since the park closes at 8pm. I've been in St. Andrew's Jetties many times during the day and for sure a night dive would be amazing. Are any of your buddies Air Force?
i have my ways. lol. naw, i have the pass codes to get in after hours (year pass). and none of my friends are AF, but im a AF brat. lol. my dad is now retired (was a pilot for 25 years) and is now a F22 instructor. seeing ur avatar im guessing u are in?

ya that would be awesome! only thing is we dont have a set date yet. i was thinking this weekend, but im supposed to be going to pcola. let me talk to everyone and see if they can go on friday or maybe next weekend. ill PM you the info as soon as i talk to everyone.

Pick out the best night with best tide and weather conditions for the night dive. They should already know how to look that stuff up.

Tying a glow stick to the entrance is a waste of time if your are lost/ disoriented. People may disagree but I found the best way to mark your exit is two fold. 1. Place two lights on the beach one directly behind the other about 25 feet apart. This way if you get turned around you can surface, set a compass bearing once you align the lights, drop down and head in. 2) I have found a strobe marking the underwater entry much more useful than a glow stick. I have turned off my lights before and looked for the flash and headed to it. We use to do boat night dives in Guam that would last over an hour and this is how I always located my boat. I had a strobe on the anchor and one about 15 feet from the bottom. You could see it for quite a distance, of course the vis in Guam is 100 +

Tying a glow stick to the entrance is a waste of time if your are lost/ disoriented. People may disagree but I found the best way to mark your exit is two fold. 1. Place two lights on the beach one directly behind the other about 25 feet apart. This way if you get turned around you can surface, set a compass bearing once you align the lights, drop down and head in. 2) I have found a strobe marking the underwater entry much more useful than a glow stick. I have turned off my lights before and looked for the flash and headed to it. We use to do boat night dives in Guam that would last over an hour and this is how I always located my boat. I had a strobe on the anchor and one about 15 feet from the bottom. You could see it for quite a distance, of course the vis in Guam is 100 +

You beat me to it. All I would add about the two chem sticks is to make them different colors so it is easier to tell which way you are (green in front/orange in back maybe). Also, for your tanks just take a 80 cent glow stick and ziptie it to your 1st stage knob.

By the way, for those that don't know. The cheapest light sticks I have found are in Walmart in the childrens section. You go where they sell the novelty party stuff like glow necklaces and such. They have the same glow sticks you will pay $3/each for for 80 or 88 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom