Night diving surprises...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There have been several attempts at introducing East coast lobsters (using egg-carrying females) in order to produce a rival lobster harvesting economy to the east coast fisheries, but the populations have never held. The water is too cold for them to breed, but they survive just fine in the cold water provided it doesnt get too cold. Plenty of lobsters hanging out at 250 foot depths in SoCal, where I believe the water is considerably cooler than surface temp there and probably close to typical Monterey Temps. They go shallower (and hence warmer) to breed. Its quite a significant migration considering the biomass and relative distance traveled.

There are lobsters in the Monterey area. I've seen them at both the breakwater and at monastery. Always at night. They're rare but we have them. This picture by Sami Laine was taken at Monastery some years ago if I remember right.

Panulirus interruptus

However a small, pale, "lobster" is probably a Brown Shrimp. They can be about a foot long and will bury themselves in the sand. They are uncommon but present on the sand near the breakwater. Also a nocturnal sighting.

Penaeus californicus

Clinton

Last edited:
Just to be pedantic here, it would be El Niño, and not La
Niña that would carry a warmer water species north of its usual range.

There are lobsters in the Monterey area. I've seen them at both the breakwater and at monastery. Always at night. They're rare but we have them. This picture by Sami Laine was taking at Monastery some years ago if I remember right.

Panulirus interruptus

However a small, pale, "lobster" is probably a Brown Shrimp. They can be about a foot long and will bury themselves in the sand. They are uncommon but present on the sand near the breakwater. Also a nocturnal sighting.

Penaeus californicus

Clinton

yes, what I saw were very large shrimp or prawns there at the jetty similar to the Brown Shrimp in the pic. I am not an expert at identifying specific species, but what I saw there were definately not spiny lobsters. Not to say that there isn't the occasional lobster that ends up as far north as Monterey. I have never seen one in the area, nor has anyone that I know personally. Small young lobsters look exactly the same as the adult lobsters. I've seen many as small as 2" or so down at Clemente Island. A lobster of any size is easily identified. Now I'm going to find myself looking in every hole, and hopefully I will have my camera with me if I ever see one in Monterey.

:D

I myself have spotted a few CA Spiny Lobster remains around Breakwater on the rare occasion. My buddy and I were joking that someone was trying to pull a fast one on us.

Back
Top Bottom