Night diving surprises...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, me and KLJ bailed early from work friday and made the drive down to the Breakwater for a night dive. We got there around 7 to some pretty good conditions and where really excited to explore a familiar site we have dove many times before once the lights went out. We planned the dive to kinda bridge civil twilight, so we got kitted up pretty slowly and entered the water a little before 8. We swam out a little to the big #5 and descended right on top of the anchor before heading to the wall and turning left. We made a nice leisurely out-and-back, hitting a max depth of 40feet and checking out all the nooks and crannies with our new lights.

The first surprise was the relative lack of critters. Maybe we should have waited a bit later so things were more active but we were pretty surprised to find everything so quiet. We did come across a couple of big sleeping ling cod but otherwise, i felt like id kinda cheated KLJ after getting her hyped up about all the octopi and stuff we would see.

Anyway, we were coming back in, and at about 37 feet came across one of the many big concrete blocks at the bottom of the wall. Except, this one had a huge California Spiny Lobster sitting right on top of it. He was big- easily 2 feet long, his body being as thick as a loaf of bread. He did the typical tail-tuck-and-back-into-a-crevice maneuver and we continued on our way. Very cool. A little later we are gliding over the sand at about 20 feet- pretty close to the anchor- scanning the sand for with our lights looking for sand dabs and octopi when i see a pair of glowing eyes staring back at me from about 6 feet away. I floated over, expecting to see a halibut or something, but all i could see where these little stalk-eyes poking out the sand. Im showing KLJ when something flickers in the sand about a foot away- we focus on that to find the distinctive fan shaped tail of another lobster, completely white. It moves again to reveal the segmented back of a perfectly white, 8-9 inch lobster partially buried in the sand, presumably having just recently finished molting. It begins to settle itself into the sand, finally leaving just the eye-stalks staring back at us. We kick in a little ways further, checking out the sand dollar patch before ascending right next to the #6 at 9.10pm. Pretty good dive, a little less life than id expected and another perfectly handled dive by my awesome buddy.

After doing a little research, if my understanding is right, this is a pretty rare sighting in the Bay. I understand that C. S. Lobsters that have ended up this far north have probably got swept in by El-Nino currents and that the water is too cool for them to breed. Anyone got any other info on these guys hanging out around here- sightings, size, whatever? It was just such an unexpected sighting that im curious to learn a little more about them.

Cheers

It sounds like you guys had a great dive. Thanks for the post! I would love to run into a C.S. Lobster this far north.

Can't wait to go out again with you.
Sounds like you got a date :D

Just wait until you get a nice calm night with 30+ feet of vis and you two are going to really have a good time together.

Totally. Its as though she 'likes' me and everything

We are thinking of making night diving more of a fixture in our weekends in Monterey. Heading down after work on friday wasnt nearly as bad as we thought it might be. We normally head down 5am on Saturday, but found a couple cheap hotel options that make the extra night do-able. Next time, maybe we'll catch dinner before the dive so we can do it later.

I always enjoy night diving and it is a great way to kick off the weekend. Especially if you are with someone that "Likes" you. LOL

NP251- Those were prawns that you saw at the breakwater. I am very familiar with the breakwater and have made many dives there. I have seen the "lobsters" you are referring to once on a night dive I was leading students on. It was probably around the time frame you saw them. There were dozens of them all over the sandy bottom. They really do look like miniature light colored lobsters, but unfortunately they are not. Monterey bay is too far north and too cold.

Appreciate your post, but the bigger 'prawn' we saw was definitely a lobster. Was easily 2 feet long and was about the girth of a loaf of bread. In fact, it was easily bigger than the bugs we saw on our Catalina trip in August, where we saw several hundred lobsters during a night dive. And a lot more during the other 12 day dives we did. There is no way it was a prawn. What is more likely- a La Nina castaway brought up north, or a mutant 2 foot long godzilla prawn? There is a difference between an organisms 'range' - largely defined as the area where a continuous breeding population can thrive- and its 'accidental' sighting. Many organisms can be seen accidentally outside of their range due to a number of factors. La Nina is one of those factors.

Ill concede that the second smaller one we saw may have been a prawn given its size, but we feel it was a juvenile lobster. The shape and overall appearance just didnt say 'albino prawn' to me. We have seen our fair share of prawns on the breakwater (i actually really like scanning the sand for eye-stalks since they light up so well) and this was was different enough to doubt the initial ID as a prawn.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: KLJ
hmmm... thats crazy-lobsters in Monterey. I thought the water is a bit too cold for them. I've often wondered if anyone has ever attempted to transplant them here and get them to breed. Ok then, from now on I will bring my dive light and look in all the cracks,holes and crevices looking for lobster. Chuck..Do you have a link to that pic of the lobsters at Monastary? How long ago was that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom