Night Diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why don't you and your son visit the shop where his instructor plys her trade. You brows while he picks out the most expensive light they carry as well as a suitable backup. When he pulls his credit card from his wallet, you tell him he can't use those lights because he is not "licensed" to dive at night and he is risking having his BOW cert revoked. Then ad lib from there and enjoy.

NWGratefulDiver:
Not sure which agency you're getting certified through, but I do know that NAUI requires a night dive as part of the AOW certification (we call it "Advanced Scuba Diver"). I also know that the YMCA program does. And I'm pretty sure that PADI does as well.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have my cert with PADI...in the past PADI required a night dive as part of AOW but now only a deep dive and a nav dive is required.

Also...thanks everyone, at least now I know we were not in the wrong

awap:
Why don't you and your son visit the shop where his instructor plys her trade. You brows while he picks out the most expensive light they carry as well as a suitable backup. When he pulls his credit card from his wallet, you tell him he can't use those lights because he is not "licensed" to dive at night and he is risking having his BOW cert revoked. Then ad lib from there and enjoy.

LOL

Good one!!!

Web Monkey:
As far as I know, a C-Card can't be revoked, however there's probably more to the story than was presented here.
Are the conditions where he wants to dive exceptionally risky? Is it possible the instructor has been diving with your son and has seen abnormally risky behaviours?
There's something else going on. Either the shop is trying to make more money by scaring your son into more classes (unlikely given the bizzarness of the situation), or is trying to prevent a tragedy.
If I had to guess, I'd go for #2.
Terry
I would also want to know how comfortable the 18 year old basic OW diver is in the water during the day and if he is prepared to handle emergency situations which could be more complicated diving at night. Also to consider is task loading, a review of night diving signals, use of lights etc. Night dives are very much my favorite time to dive but I also realize that not everyone is comfortable diving at night and should not be pressured out of their comfort zone. Just my 2 pesos...

Pull his "license", yea right, pure BS. I would do is see what the cert agency thinks about this. If she is PADI, they may well pull her license and they CAN do that. Night diving is somewhat different than day diving but nothing you can't learn from a good buddy.

rollosan:
I have my cert with PADI...in the past PADI required a night dive as part of AOW but now only a deep dive and a nav dive is required.

Also...thanks everyone, at least now I know we were not in the wrong
Offically PADI doesn't require it for AOW anymore:
Offically as a PADI instructor I require it.
I firmly believe in the core 3 for AOW Night, NAV and Deep everything else is gavy.

Web Monkey:
As far as I know, a C-Card can't be revoked, however there's probably more to the story than was presented here.

Are the conditions where he wants to dive exceptionally risky? Is it possible the instructor has been diving with your son and has seen abnormally risky behaviours?

There's something else going on. Either the shop is trying to make more money by scaring your son into more classes (unlikely given the bizzarness of the situation), or is trying to prevent a tragedy.

Terry

Well I'm not going to say that my son is an expert diver but he not a bad one either.
He is 18 but he he is a late October baby so he still lives at home and attends high school. For this reason I still seem to think I'm his protector...For now I only allow him to dive with me so I can help him fine tune his skills. He has never dove with the formentioned instructor so she has no clue what his skill level is.

Thing is there are only a couple of dive shops here and I think that they are just trying to make more money. They require the AOW for their boat dives... thats fine I can understand reasons for this, however now I think it's just a money maker for them.

Web Monkey:

Terry

Well I'm not going to say that my son is an expert diver but he not a bad one either.
He is 18 but he is a late October baby so he still lives at home and attends high school. For this reason I still seem to think I'm his protector...For now I only allow him to dive with me so I can help him fine tune his skills. He has never dove with the aforementioned instructor so she has no clue what his skill level is.

Thing is there are only a couple of dive shops here and I think that they are just trying to make more money. They require the AOW for their boat dives... that’s fine I can understand reasons for this; however now I think it's just a money maker for them

you double posted?????????

i am revoking your ScubaBoard membership

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom