Night Diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did your statement about needing a guide within the marine park also impute "...for night dives"?

Of course not, since statements can't impute things. It implied it. It should be easy to impute that, since the requirement is not limited to daytime. I didn't specify that, because I thought it'd be completely unnecessary.

No one was asking you to advocate night shore diving.

Nobody asked you to, either. You shared your opinion. I shared mine. That's what ScubaBoard is for. We're allowed to disagree about whether shore diving at night on Cozumel is advisable.

I would not advocate night diving from shore anywhere on the island.
I find this to be a very strange comment. Why not?

I've done dozens of night shore dives on Coz. All have been quite tame, and most have been pretty spectacular. Even places like the rubble piles off Scuba Club are great night dives.

And, I might add, that I have been diving all around the world. Night dives on Coz are the best in the world.

Probably everyones knows by now, boat nights dives are open and authorized by both Harbor Master and Secretaria de Marina Armanda de Mexico.

As I will be returning to Coz this Xmas/New year's, I have been told that night dives are ok.

In planning my upcoming return to Cozumel, I have learned that night dives are very clearly being allowed, officially (i.e. Harbor Master). But this is second hand info.

My question: are their particular dive ops that do night dives especially well? I know the usual list of recommended dive ops--that's not what I am looking for. I have done a couple of night dives from the shore and disliked them. But I was told that night dives can be great. I want to try again.

Thanks for any guidance.

My question: are their particular dive ops that do night dives especially well? I know the usual list of recommended dive ops--that's not what I am looking for. I have done a couple of night dives from the shore and disliked them. But I was told that night dives can be great. I want to try again.
One of the reasons that I like Tres Pelicanos is that they only require 2 divers to run a boat for a twilight or night dive (many others require 4 or more). We've always had good night dives with them, always on Paradise reef.

We also had a great guided shore night dive with Jungle Divers -- whose office is right across from Tikila. It was a long (98 minute) dive and we saw a lot of interesting critters. Jungle Divers also took us cenote diving on the mainland one day when the waves were too big for Cozumel reef diving.

One of the reasons that I like Tres Pelicanos is that they only require 2 divers to run a boat for a twilight or night dive (many others require 4 or more). We've always had good night dives with them, always on Paradise reef.

We also had a great guided shore night dive with Jungle Divers -- whose office is right across from Tikila. It was a long (98 minute) dive and we saw a lot of interesting critters. Jungle Divers also took us cenote diving on the mainland one day when the waves were too big for Cozumel reef diving.
Thanks for these suggestions. I've already reserved some mornings with 3P. The thing with 3P is that it draws very good divers. I can barely keep up in the daylight, so I'm nervous about the night. I don't like to be a hindrance. That said, the minimum of 2 divers, as opposed to 4, is a big deal. Also, Paradise Reef is easy stuff, so this might be perfect. I'll check out Jungle Divers as well. Thank you very much.

Have you used Scubatony for night (or afternoon) dives? It was recommended largely because it does a lot of them.

We did night dives with Dive Paradise and they also took us to paradise reef. Great site, super easy dives. The only difficulty was making sure you were heading back to the correct boat as there were many boats doing night dives the night we went. Maybe that won't be an issue since there are likely fewer divers there in the time of covid. Actually it wasn't THAT big of an issue. Just remember the name of your boat and look at the boat before you swim over to it.

We did night dives with Dive Paradise and they also took us to paradise reef. Great site, super easy dives. The only difficulty was making sure you were heading back to the correct boat as there were many boats doing night dives the night we went. Maybe that won't be an issue since there are likely fewer divers there in the time of covid. Actually it wasn't THAT big of an issue. Just remember the name of your boat and look at the boat before you swim over to it.
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom