Night Diving - I don't get it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So.. I've done a night dive on a shipwreck where once all the divers turned their lights off for a minute, the flasher fish created a universe of star point lights that just defy description. However I've yet to do a night reef dive that has been more than ok. Happy to be shown better however :)

Replied using Tapatalk. Please forgive my typing.

I'm going to have go against the grain.

Night dives SUCK!!

I did my first one on the Great Barrier Reef, not a shabby place to be diving. Yet all I could think was "I'm cold, I'm hungry and it's dark". I was on a liveaboard so it was the 4th dive of the day. But I trully believe that night is the time for Beer & Pizza not diving (I stole that from a colleague; sorry Geoff).

Now Wrecks on the other hand.....

The beer and pizza will still be there when your night dive is over, you'll just be starting it a little later.

I used to even enjoy night dives in Texas lakes... Lake Travis, Canyon Lake, even some of the rivers were fun. But I would always rather be in the water, than out of it.

Not much color... but since the bottom was not kicked up by a bunch of diver, viz was always better... and you would see stuff you would never notice / see during the day. There used to be a lot of freshwater Prawns in the San Marcos river that were fun to see, but I understand they are much more rare today. Canyon Lake on the Dam side... the bottom is covered with an old pecan grove... it can be a great dive, but you need to treat it as an overhead environment... and be very careful not to kick up silt. Great night dive for advanced divers. Travis Lake.. especially in the winter.. crystalline at night... with some walls in some areas that go fairly deep. Big Catfish in the Dam area... just be careful where you dive in that area. (This was all twenty five years ago plus... so what it is like now, I don't know.)

Its sexier at night..just ask mandarin fish :)

For all the reasons given, there's a whole different range of animals and animal behaviors you can see at night from daytime. Diving under a full moon during a lightning storm is not to be missed.

And another reason.. the parking lot is less crowded! LOL

Signing up for the night dive at the Bridge (Blue Heron Bridge) for tomorrow night. Woot! LOVE diving at night. Different critters are out.

one thing i like about night diving and by a full moon in particular is coming up and the first things and only things you are aware of is the moon hanging over the water. But i have learned it's much harder to catch lobster at night using a pistol grip light unless i somehow grow an extra pair of arms :)

The one bad thing about night diving on liveaboards is that, by the time you get back on board, everybody else has eaten all the dessert . . . .

The one bad thing about night diving on liveaboards is that, by the time you get back on board, everybody else has eaten all the dessert . . . .

That would be a good thing for me - there are just too many tasty things to eat on board and my waistline tends to reflect that.

The bottom line for me is night diving instantly doubles the number of local dive sites I have access to with no extra travel. And its an excuse to buy more cool lights.

one thing i like about night diving and by a full moon in particular is coming up and the first things and only things you are aware of is the moon hanging over the water. But i have learned it's much harder to catch lobster at night using a pistol grip light unless i somehow grow an extra pair of arms :)

mask mount light is the way to go... lol!

When I dove at home, I got to prefer night dives because putting on a heavy wetsuit in the summer was more tolerable at night. And I think we had a lot of dives where we saw more interesting stuff than day dives.

Now I just like it for the critters and experience of it all. I'll admit I'm often too lazy to go when the time rolls around, and I've been on my share of night dives that weren't all that interesting. But if you never go you miss any chance of some really cool experiences.

Back
Top Bottom