Night Diving - I don't get it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can someone enlighten me on the why's of night diving? Is there some sort of bio-luminescence to be seen?

I carry a light, but its only because I'm on the mid-atlantic and you never know what you're going to get even when the sun is fullblast. But I don't find low viz to be any fun really. Extrapolating, I don't see how night would be any fun either.
What am missing here?:confused:

Locally (the NE) - yes there are bioluminescence to be seen. VERY COOL to see. For me - more importantly - is that the Lobster walk around in the open at night....instead of hide in their hole. Its weird to see at first - but they go out and hunt. Truthfully - that doesnt make them any easier to get - just easier to find!

You see a lot of different critters... sometimes pelagics you seldom see, will come in to snack on reef inhabitants. The nocturnal critters that hide during the day come out to play. The colors... can be something only Timothy Leary (and night divers) would know! The reefs come alive at night!! It is very peaceful and relaxing... and yet there can be a lot of activity that is fascinating to watch (or photograph)!

Why do it?? Because you can, and it is a wonderful adventure! But only do it if you enjoy it... why do anything if you don't enjoy it, right?

AOW is coming up for my wife and I. I can't wait for the night dive. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone is talking about.

AOW is coming up for my wife and I. I can't wait for the night dive. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone is talking about.

Cool... you will love it! Gonna do it locally? Or are you going to find some warmer water? lol!

All the nocturnal animals come out at night and you can see an entirely new reef! You also get sort of an adrenaline rush at night, that is until you do enough of them. :wink:

Night diving is interesting, but it all depends on what you like about diving. I especially enjoy the sensation of 'flying' or floating over broad vistas underwater, and I find diving in the dark with only a few flashlights a little claustrophobic. Not that I'd avoid a night dive...I have yet to do one under a full moon, and I'd like to try that. When I did the manta dive in Kona a few years ago, there were 40 divers or so in the water...that was a very different kind of night dive.

Our club tries to do a night every Thursday night weather permitting. We have been doing this for over 10 years now. As well as all the other reasons above, there are also some creatures that are out all the time but which are much easier to see at night (red Indianfish, Sydney pygmy pipehorses).

I'm going to have go against the grain.

Night dives SUCK!!

I did my first one on the Great Barrier Reef, not a shabby place to be diving. Yet all I could think was "I'm cold, I'm hungry and it's dark". I was on a liveaboard so it was the 4th dive of the day. But I trully believe that night is the time for Beer & Pizza not diving (I stole that from a colleague; sorry Geoff).

Now Wrecks on the other hand.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom