Night divin' the South side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockjock3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, the SB and local kine self-charter night dive went off great tonight. We had 8 divers on the boat and we all had a great time. We first headed out to Angler's reef to hook some glow sticks to the buoy. Once that was done we headed out to the Corsair for our twilight dive. Conditions were nice. We had a little SE swell, but current was light and the viz was good. We dropped down on the Corsair with a smallish baitball (for the Corsair) and a huge Moray in the engine compartment. We all circled the plane a few times checked out the garden eels and then headed for the surface.

When we arrived at our next spot we hooked up to the buoy and finished out our SI. When we finally got in the current was up a little and the viz was down, but hey, its a night dive and you only need to see as far as you light. We swam up and down Angler's and saw a few large Morays as well as many of the fish "changing shift". Lots of Parrot fish finding their holes so they could tuck themselves in, the Pennant Butterfly fish in their night colors and even a rare "Splendid Pebble Crab" (thanks to Keoki's website).

All in all two great dives 8 fun divers. We are definitely going to have to do this again.

Thanks to Capt Pat, Ed (Roll221), Kevin, Sherman (Scuba and Dream), Cary (??), Agis (AGIS), JJ (VblueV), and Dave (Thatssomebadhatharry). I had a great time and hope you all did to. I am sure the rest will chime in and add some pics. I'll try to add some in a couple of days as well, but wanted to get this up.

Diving for buoys at night in the open ocean is creepy. Just putting that out there.

This was my first trip to the Corsair... It was pretty awesome. Let alone that it was my first Hawaii night dive, and my deepest dive to date.

I have some pictures of the wreck, which I'm sure have been done to death but here they are anyway.

1352644071_6597baeb18.jpg

I would explain in further detail, but it all just gets a little technical down there...

1353535210_90605651cd.jpg

Lionfish? Has those crazy eyes but was red and white.

1353533542_c3ab605112.jpg

I would explain in further detail, but it all just gets a little technical down there...

1353535210_90605651cd.jpg

Three Tech Divers..
A few Tech Diver wanna-bees..
A wreck you can't penetrate...priceless!

:rofl3:

Get shots Dave; Kevin got some good video which I am sure he will post later. Yes, I agree a great time had by all. Already looking forward to the next get together.

Ed

Thanks again for buoy diving dave.

Here are some pics I took. Still working with my new light so they many of mine didn't turn out that good.

The ride out.
SB41.jpg

Can you believe we live here?
SB52.jpg

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
SB61.jpg

Dropping in on the Corsair.
SB33.jpg

Splendid Pebble Crab.
SB23.jpg

I love the colors in those urchins.
SB14.jpg