Night dives = AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- and the final rule: DO NOT swim toward the moon! It is not the boat / dock light.
/QUOTE]

LOLL never heard that one but seems practical haha
It gets way less funny after you have been swimming towards it for the last 15 minutes and you finally realize that you are not getting any closer...

the deep dive i did as part of my AOW was done at night -- i didn't notice much of a difference since viz was good and it was a full moon. I really enjoyed myself on that one and the next one was even better since it was an underwater graveyard on halloween (all hallow's eve).

most operators going to the speigel grove are going to want AOW whether it's night or not due to depth/currents and liability.

otherwise i don't think you have to be AOW to go night diving - i know my first couple were before i got my AOW ---- viz was at least 10' and they were all full moon dives as well at 20' or less shore dives.

never tried swimming towards the moon-- but it always takes my breath away to see it right after surfacing

socaljohn, my AOW was NAUI, but unless I'm mistaken, I had to do only five dives. The required ones were Deep, Nav, Night. And I also did Search and Wreck. I really don't remember a sixth dive for it....has it changed?
I am pretty sure I got it from the book as I try not to rely on my memory when posting, I will check this evening.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2013 at 12:12 PM ----------

Also, I recently found a couple So Cal dive groups doing regular night shore dives and one of them specifically says it is open to "never dove night before" types. I am anxious to join as I cannot always dive Sat or Sun AM and want to start diving at least once a week, but thought I would do them the service of having at least 1 instructor lead night dive first.
The shop even said that as all the shore diving we do here is limited Vis we could call it done but the three of us in the class opted for an actual night dive.

Last edited:
Haven't had anyone require AOW for night dives, but when I was a newer diver before ever doing a night dive, they waited to dive with me first before signing me up for one. I've heard some operators request having at least 30 dives logged before a night dive, but think that's operator (and not agency) requirements.

I think the Night Dive class (which is part of the AOW class if you elect for it to be) is great to do before a night dive. It is different, but AMAZING. To get everything out of it, I think it helps to be informed and know what you're doing. For first timers, it helps get rid of the nerves as you feel more armed with what to do / what not to do.

I did a night dive on my AOW in the lake I always dive in. It was like diving a brand new site and a wonderful experience... I'll be doing a lot of night diving from here on out! I can't imagine how cool in must be in the ocean!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom