Night dive with Breeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuddlefish:
Uh, is it still 1995? Most of the dive ops discourage handling marine life. If an octopus is startled into inking, it has much less of a defense against all the eels that are feeding at night. Sorry...but that's my opinion. I guess I just can't think of any reason to do it.

And, no, I'm not a tree-hugger.

I also discourage it, as does Crab Lover. However, the guy we were "assigned" to as a guide was picking things up right and left. He is an old time local diver. Can't teach old dogs new tricks, so we don't try. As long as the octo was there, she took a picture.

I hugs trees, myself.

The night octopus has a reputation for biting but they all can and do. They're also all somewhat venomous but, unless you're hyperallergic, not deadly like the Aussie blue-ringer. The night octopus is a reddish-brown which may not mean much since it's a chameleon anyway. More reliable are the typical white spots which is what the pictured one seems to have.

The linkia starfish is the favorite food for the harlequin shrimp. They will eat only enough to not kill the starfish. If you see linkia which look like shooting stars with just one long arm and rest stubby, there may be some harlequins around.

Maybe that would have been the thing to teach an old dog the new trick, eh?

Thanks for the tip bluemagoo! I have been wanting to see some harliquins!

Oh, and thanks sea nmf, you know me, I don't like conflict and you put it quite well! And being so new to all this, I don't feel comfortable telling people who have been diving much longer than I have what they should and shouldn't do. Give me a couple of years... once I've grown some gills, maybe I will have grown some gonads!

Linkia used to plentiful at Kahe but not lately. There're lots around Halona Cove but good luck waiting for a calm day. Nearly all the harlequin (about 5 pairs and one singleton) I've seen have been on the right side of Shark's Cove during the day. (Two pairs at Kahe. None at Halona. So far.) Most were along the wall but a pair and the singleton were out in the middle along the 45-50ft gradient, on a huge boulder. Apparently, instead of starfish, most of these guys are munching on the little sponges dotting the caverns and caves. They're usually in the back of the deepest pukas. They're small, about 2cm or 1in, and surprisingly easy to overlook because the colors are reddish and are subdued at depth. But hit 'em with dive light and, wow, the colors are just stunning.

THANKS! Hear that sea nmf... right side of Shark's cove in pukas... I think I know where I want to head next time we go out!

...specifically in the large cavern at the point... Poke around the small tunnels and dead-ends in the back and along the ceiling.

With some luck, I might be out there this Sunday, freediving and entertaining some folks from the East Coast.

crab lover:
And being so new to all this, I don't feel comfortable telling people who have been diving much longer than I have what they should and shouldn't do. Give me a couple of years... once I've grown some gills, maybe I will have grown some gonads!

Chances are that the little guy was going to tako poke that night. Be advised that anyone who hunts their own dinner will likely always have bigger 'nads than you!

He didn't go home with him that night... although if the guy had had his way about it, he might have, but it was supposed to be a rec dive only, no bringing home dinner. But I agree, they will probably always ACT like they have bigger 'nads than me and I don't want to go there...

Back
Top Bottom