Night Dive, Tank Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always use cheap, chem lights from army supply stores.mjust go to any army surplus stores or even online.

I know many places frown on them from an eco-friendly standpoint. I try to avoid them for that reason as well.

If they are bright enough to see in poor or worse visibility, then they are a PITA to other divers (flashing in their eyes). Personally, with the brightness of current LED torches, I see no reason for anyone to use. I should add that we do a night dive every Thursday night weather permitting, and I cannot think of a single time in the past 10 years where one would have been of a benefit to anyone.
We never use tank lights that flash - that is for the anchor line.

The tank light still lets you see your buddy when you both turn off your lights.

I know many places frown on them from an eco-friendly standpoint. I try to avoid them for that reason as well.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Ever been in a battery factory? :eek:

If you had to live next to one or the other I'm pretty sure you'd pick the glow stick plant!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Ever been in a battery factory? :eek:

If you had to live next to one or the other I'm pretty sure you'd pick the glow stick plant!

I assumed they didn't grow on trees. But given the choice between the two rechargeable AAA batteries in my PrincetonTec tank flare that have done more than 100 night dives and are recycleable... as compared to a pile of 100 discarded glo-sticks that would sit in a landfill for all eternity?

I think I've got the more eco-friendly solution between those two options.

If you're not going to be doing A LOT of night diving then chem lights ($2) maybe be a cheaper alternative).

Cannot tell for sure, but a battery operated glow stick that uses 3 button batteries, those batteries are far from being eco-friendly.
I bought one of those battery operated glow sticks and it stopped working after the first 5 minutes. It flooded. I prefer the chem glow sticks as they are fault proof.

Back
Top Bottom