Night dive settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

I'll be doing a night dive in the near future and since this will be my first dive at night with my camera, i'm curious to the sort of settings that you would recommend and do use currently.

For reference i'll be diving with a Canon A610 & housing no strobes and the only external light source would be my and buddies dive lights.
I figure i'll be limited to mostly macro subjects with this setup.

Thinking between 1/60s-1/200s and perhaps i'll push the ISO up to 100 to try and increase the light available.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Not gonna get anything without using the internal flash. It also makes it much easier if you can attach a dive light in some way to the camera. It's pretty tricky (in my experience) to aim a dive light in one hand and focus/take the picture in the other hand. I use a pretty small mini Q40 LED light attached to my camera. It allows my camera to focus and doesn't blast critters and scare them away.

Otherwise settings are pretty similar to day dives. Just remember the only light you have is gonna be the internal flash so get close...and diffuse the internal flash if your camera can.

Chris

Thanks Monkey,
I have a small secondary dive light, a princeton tec 40.
I'll see if I can figure out some way of attaching it to my housing to aid with focusing.
220101.jpg

Thankfully I do have a diffuser plate so the lighting should be somewhat even, sticking to macro doesn't sound too bad at least my 'keeper' rate will be a bit higher that way :).

Back
Top Bottom