Night Dive Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chugmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok this is probably a silly question but I am new at this. If you have a camera with you on a night dive and the housing is a two handed one like my Ikelite how do you carry your dive light?

I was thinking of engineering a way to attach my dive light to the strobe mount??? How does eveyone else do it?

I usually just have my can lighthead clipped off (and turned off) or carry a backup. I use my modeling lights as lights.

Warren_L:
I usually just have my can lighthead clipped off (and turned off) or carry a backup. I use my modeling lights as lights.

I don't have a modeling light. Just a strobe.

That was part of the reason I chose an INON D-180 strobe. The modeling light on it is bright enough to use as my primary light on night dives.

-Mark

chugmeister:
Ok this is probably a silly question but I am new at this. If you have a camera with you on a night dive and the housing is a two handed one like my Ikelite how do you carry your dive light?

I was thinking of engineering a way to attach my dive light to the strobe mount??? How does eveyone else do it?
See
http://www.marinecamera.com/ultralight.html

I use the triple clamp (ARMS & CLAMPS #13, AC-TCS). One clamps onto the tray, one on the strobe arm, and one onto either my mini-Clight (ACCESORIES #3, AC-IK) or my PC Light using the universal adapter (ACCESORIES #4, AC-USL). This works great for tropical diving, where a small light works. My strobe (INON D180) also has a focus light which is almost as bright as the other lights, giving me redundancy, plus I carry a light in my pocket.

Here is a picture of my setup

Good to know. THanks for the info. I think I have it worked out.

chugmeister:
I don't have a modeling light. Just a strobe.

Assuming your strobe does not have a modeling light, a canister light with a goodman handle is easy enough to handle along with a camera in hand. If not, clamping a light to your camera rig sounds like it should work just as well.

Mine is attached to my housing or you can get a "triple clamp" and attach it to your strobe arm. This is the only pic I have of my setup but you can see the focus light on the housing and the triple clamps.

chugmeister:

Okay.. this is going to sound simplistic, but it works:

electrical tape.

Yup, you read that right! If you don't have a modeling light, then taping a regular dive light to your rig in the appropriate place (basically pointing in the right direction :wink: ) will function just fine.

Then carry a backup in your BC pocket like a UK C4.

Just make sure your buddy has a regular dive light. You know..... one of those monster UK D8s that can fry a fish at 100 yards.... :wink:

I have Ikelite strobes that has built in modeling light that can be left on the whole dive and it is bright enough.If you don't have modeling light on your strobe that is bright enough for nightdive then I would prefer to mount the flashlight on the strobe itself. One advantage then is that when you can see the picture on your camera with the flashlight, you know that your strobe is pointing i n the correct general area. Mounting a light on the housing make coordinating strobe position/camera/subject a little bit trickier, I think.
On my setup, I use my Ikelite modeling light as primary light source but I do also have Fisheye light as a back up also attached to my housing. I do have another small light hooked to my BCD so I suppose if I lose my camera somehow, I still have a backup light on me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom