night/day in Jakarta on way to Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viva1

Registered
Reaction score
We are going to Raja Ampat to dive in January, 2015. Our flight stops in Jakarta and we could fly out a few hours later to Sorong where we'll pick up our boat the next morning. Our travel agent suggests we leave a day early and stay in Jakarta one night, just in case there are any flight troubles getting to Jakarta from San Francisco and we miss our flight to Sorong and thus the dive boat, as well.

I've no interest in spending the night and a whole day in Jakarta (flight to Sorong leaves at 1 a.m.) but I also don't want to take a chance of missing our connection to Sorong.

Are there any nice, smaller, authentic towns fairly near the Jakarta airport where it would be fun to spend the night and next day? All suggestions are welcome, even if you feel Jakarta would be a better place to spend the night (if so, what hotel/ area of town, things to do would you recommend there?).
Thanks.

Hi there

We have just got off a RA trip , which was fantastic. Your travel agent is giving you very good advice....two passengers on our boat missed their flight and most of a days diving. They had to travel on and take a very local ferry. Please don't cut things too fine and stay one night as near to Sorong as you can.

Best fishes

We stayed in Jakarta for 2 days before our trip to RA. It was mostly because we have suppliers for our business in Jakarta and visited with them. The hotel we decided on was the Sheraton Bandara, close to the airport and it was a good choice. Traffic in Jakarta is horrendous, it cannot be described, it has to be experienced......We never made it downtown, but I have a feeling, we didn't miss a thing.
They have a free airport shuttle, a decent restaurant, just ask for a newly renovated room. We also had no problems with our flights to Sorong, ours left around midnight and got there at 7.30 am

I'm one of those strange people who actually enjoys Jakarta :) So I would say why not stay a day there! Besides the " Old Town" there is not much to see besides Malls and loads of restaurants and pubs but I like the chaos. For a hotel I would recommend Mulia Hotel in Senayan, excellent rooms, service and the best breakfast I've ever seen. Close to PLaza Senayan and Senayan City, both malls have more than enough restaurants and pubs available :)

used to live in Jakarta - does not like Jakarta; but if I'm in your position I will stay in the hotel in Ancol Dreamland Park IF NOT during public holliday or weekend; approx. 20 km from the airport; travel time, could be less than 30 min. or more than 1 hour.
you can enjoy lot of attractions and shopping mall. At least there's 3 hotel/resort inside the parks.

Viva, didn't you just return from the Dewi Nusantara? It was my understanding that you were to be on the Dec 28 trip. If so, you must have some idea of what kind of chaos can be experienced. Personally, I'd never care to return to Jakarta, given a choice. For myself, a return trip will be out of Singapore rather than Jakarta, if I can avoid it. Also, don't you think you'll already be tired from your flight out of SFO? And then to take another overnight flight to be followed by long boat transfer if going to landbased. Exhausting.

OK that's my two cents worth, which doesn't answer your quedtion about where to stay and what to see in Jakarta. I'll add to that, do not trust the traffic, you've no way of assuring that you'll make your plane if you stay too far from the airport.

I'll further emphasize my opinion that if you have a choice of major destination, Singapore or Bali, over Jakarta before your domestic flights, seriously consider those options.

I used to live in Jka.
Traffic is shocking, especially during rainy season & rush hour!

My advice , if you have 12-24 hours, just stay in FM7 Resort Hotel (approx $80, about 10 mins from the airport, free shuttle from airport) . They have an ok spa, pool,steam room,sauna, hot & cold pools so you can relax & recover from Jet lag.

If you have more than 24hrs stay in one of the nice 5* hotels in town. 5* hotels in Jk are very good value for money. Mulia Hotel in Senayan as suggested above is nice & decent location close to shopping malls (cost approx $200 per night). Average traffic will mean 45 mins to 1 hr taxi to the airport (Taxi fare approx $20-30 for Silverbird luxury taxi).
Not much to see & do except shop & experience a very busy Asian city. Jkat is a strange city, no real tourist attractions,city center or downtown area.

Fm7 best option for less than 24hrs. Good there is amazing as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom