Nick Whitney/ U of H still wants whitetip images

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
You may or may not remember a conversation we had back last summer
(spring?) about gray reef sharks in Hawaii, and whether people were
really seeing grays as frequently as they thought.

Just wanted to let you know there's an article on the topic in Hawaii
Skin Diver magazine this month, page 50, written by me to help people
ID
some of the trickier shark species.

Hopefully people will find it useful in recognizing some of those
gray-colored, pointy-nosed species that can be hard to tell apart.

Please keep us in mind when you come across some more whitetip photos!

This is a note...regarding the new issue of Hawaii Skin Diver and the need for any white tip images you get.... OH! the Great White images are in there too!

I need to re-post the link.

I have to ask--what is the creature in your avatar?

It is a Napoleon Wrasse, my favorite fish!

Cool! Like I've said before, I've got to get to the south Pacific. Someday!

catherine96821:
It is a Napoleon Wrasse, my favorite fish!

It's only my favorite fish, breed for it's skills in eating. It's half wreck and half @$$.

Nick's a great guy. We worked together last year on a National Geographic Television shoot over here on Maui at Makena Landing. It was about the cave dwelling White Tip Reef Sharks. The show was called "Dens of Danger" and featured Dr. Brady Barr and Nick. Nick's quite a good freediver and a really good shot with his speargun! Anyone with good white tip pics should send them to him. It will help if you can also describe the place, time, date, and other info about the site and sharks, including their behavior at the time the picture was taken. I'm sure he would really appreciate any photos you all can provide and the info he gains from this research might benefit all of us in the dive community someday.

I just talked Nick into doing Sea Lancers Presentation for September. It may be a little bit out, but mark your calenders.

Hi Catherine, et al!
In May I saw whitetips in the 'shark cave' at E-beach. On sat I saw 3 in there and on sunday we saw 5 (five, yep, five). I shot some video on Sunday. Pretty cool. Unfortunately I haven't been since then, ear infection :....(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom