Nice Find...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
One of my nicer finds from 2021! This 1 gallon jug came from an area I had searched several times previously, but changing current directions must have moved enough sand off it to allow me to see a small portion, as well as the shine from it's finish. Took a while to unearth it and was very pleased when the script stamped into the shoulder was revealed; however, the handle of the jug was found to be missing ( likely why it ended up in the drink! )! I had the handle replaced & you'd never know it wasn't original, such is the talent of the chap who repaired it. Subsequent research aimed at learning of the owner of the store it came from resulted in an old picture of him and his store! Further research led me to chatting with two of his great-granddaughters! Circa 1894...

Attachments

• IMG_7398.jpeg
    IMG_7398.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7399.jpeg
    IMG_7399.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7396.jpg
    IMG_7396.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7397.jpg
    IMG_7397.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 83
Nice find ,I wish I had thought about getting the handle repaired,I found a similar style years ago in a lake and gave it to a fellow dive buddy for his display,very interesting

Nice find ,I wish I had thought about getting the handle repaired,I found a similar style years ago in a lake and gave it to a fellow dive buddy for his display,very interesting
Yes indeed, there are folks around who do stoneware repair, some do glass repair. Knowledge of these people might be gained through participation in forums dedicated to collecting such items. I have learned there are limits to what they can do, but what they can do, at least for me, has been exceptional work. I've also done simple crack repair of stoneware myself, to simply hold some things together. I then place the object for display by putting the repaired side to the back and the good side to the front!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom