Niagara river diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogxman

Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard about interesting (?) dive in the upper Niagara River somewhere near Erie. There supposed to be a fort (Fort Erie?) there and there is a lot(?) of cannon balls on the bottom. Is this a true information? If yes, can you give any details on this diving spot - where to go, where to start, conditions, where to exit, any other details, closest diving shops?

I dive the river frequently, but I've never gone below the Fort.. I did hear several stories about the cannonballs.. You would enter just below the Fort at the waters edge.. There is a parking spot there.. I'm not sure what the current is like there.. as you drift down, you will pass under the peace bridge. there is a 10 knot current there.. its ripping.. been there.. done that.. I don't know how you'd slow down or stop to look at anything..if you turn sideways your mask may fly right off :)
Downstream from the peace bridge is a spot alled thompsons hole.. current is 5-7 knots.. you enter by the power lines just besides the peace bridge.. depth can reach 65ft.. not much to see. you may get cought in a big back eddy and go around a few times without noticing it :) if you kick you towards the middle of the river you can avoid that.. kick out too far and you have a hell ofa long swim back, or a lot of explaining to do when you get out on the US side :) Its also a costly cab ride..
My favourite drift is from he foot of Jarvis St. at the old docks.. Current it about 5 knots.. nice drift speed.. not too mild and not too wild.. after about 45 minutes you end up at Frenchmans Creek.. If you are lucky you'll drift past the old sunken schooner barge from 1812.. There is all kinds of stuff on the bottom ..
depth averages about 25-30ft..all depends on how far out you go...

I'm going to be in the area during the month of July and would love to do a few dives in the River. If anybody wants to get together for a dive send me a message. As I will be travelling home (Port Colbourne) alone, I would appreciate anyone being my dive buddy. I also here there is good diving in Chippawa creek, any truth to this. I'd love to see cannonballs from 1812.

Hey Farrakhan,

I'm thinking about doing the drift dive in Niagara in July as well, so we can hook up. I live in Toronto and would most likely do it on a weekend mid-July. If you're still looking for a buddy - let me know.

Guys,

What's the water temp. like (July) - I'm guessing it call for a full length 5-6 mm. Also, are there any extra accessories necessary (line, gloves, light)? How about taking pictures - any chances for descent shots, or is the current too strong.

So far, the only dives with noticeable current I've done were in St. Lawrence (Key Storm was pretty strong) - is it comparable?

Thanks.

My favourite drift is from he foot of Jarvis St. at the old docks.. Current it about 5 knots.. nice drift speed.. not too mild and not too wild.. after about 45 minutes you end up at Frenchmans Creek.. If you are lucky you'll drift past the old sunken schooner barge from 1812.. There is all kinds of stuff on the bottom ..
depth averages about 25-30ft..all depends on how far out you go...

I am new to the area and if you could "sparky30" would like to have more info on this barge. Where ? (city) and also where abouts in the river (north side, south side or middle) the more info the better please. and ty.

Deep-Oceon - Diving Buddies

Let's do it. I will be in the area for the month of July and would definetly be up for this dive. Hopefully I will be able to gather a bit more info on the dives in the river so as not to end up at the bottom of the falls ;-0

If there is anybody else that would like to do the dive(s) feel free to join in.

Quick question, any historical artifacts that you pull from the river (musketballs, bottles, cannonballs, ect). Are you able to legally keep them or do they have to be turned over to a museum or government agency or something.

Look forward to hearing from you Deep-Oceon.

farrakhan once bubbled...
Deep-Oceon - Diving Buddies
Quick question, any historical artifacts that you pull from the river (musketballs, bottles, cannonballs, ect). Are you able to legally keep them or do they have to be turned over to a museum or government agency or something.

It's illegal around here to remove artifacts from a wreck. Period. Leave em there for the next (and the next and the next) diver to see. Unlike Saltwater regions where wreck break down fairly quickly (unless buried under layers of sediment) and so artifacts are generally recovered and preserved, wrecks in freshwater (especially cold freshwater) remain for many years and should be left intact.

I wasn't talking about taking things from a wreck, I was just wondering if you came across a musket ball or old bottle if that would be legal to take. In Australia it is illegal to take anything from a wreck.

My understanding is if it coul dbe considered historical, look but don't touch (leave it on the bottom). I'm don;t think that would apply to a 50's Coke bottle. :D , but certainly would to a musket ball (although with the size of a musket ball, you deserve to keep it if your eyes are good enough to find it).

Back
Top Bottom