Next step to a perfect LED-system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Sebastian,

again you have delivered the proof that you have only a small knowledge of technology.
Evidently you don´t know the difference between the normal used Lithium-Cobalt and Lithium-Manganese batteries.
If I remember correctly, I've said that you before.:dork2:

The problems are existing only with Lithium-Cobald and Lithium-Polymer batteries.
You are right its too dangerous to use these type of batteries.

Lithium-Manganese is really safe and contact with water or salt water has no high reaction for result.

Btw, each manufacturer of NiMh-batteries prohibit the use NiMh batteries in enclosed housing.
The risk for hydrogen gas is too big.
This point i want to say about your 101% safity:no::no:

Michael

That's interesting because I've seen many light manufacturers that say that NiMH batteries are OK in their lights?

Adam

Hi Adam,

that´s right. Before some years we used NiMh batteries too, but the problem with this type is the charging in enclosure housings.
All our housings was open for charging, then the risk is really small.

NiMh batteries can produce in failure mode much hydrogen gas.
Hydrogen gas together with oxygen gas is really explosive.
Some manufacturer use in their housing a over pressure valve to absorbe excessive hydrogen gas.
With this valve the risk will be smaller, but......

Here in Germany exist a very well known manufacturer of dive lights: Kowalski.
This company is a trend setter for dive lights, which must not be open for charging.
They never use NiMh batteries because the risk for an explosion is much too high.
They used only NC and today Lithium batteries.
Another German company has copied these dive lights, but they used for start NiMh batteries, because the capacity is higher.:dork2::dork2:
The result was some explosions of dive lights.
They wanted to sue the battery manufacturer, but he showed them the ban on charging of NiMh cells in enclosured housings.

Michael

Last edited:
Hi Adam,

that´s right. Before some years we used NiMh batteries too, but the problem with this type is the charging in enclosure housings.
All our housings was open for charging, then the risk is really small.

NiMh batteries can produce in failure mode much hydrogen gas.
Hydrogen gas together with oxygen gas is really explosive.
Some manufacturer use in their housing a over pressure valve to absorbe excessive hydrogen gas.
With this valve the risk will be smaller, but......

Here in Germany exist a very well known manufacturer of dive lights: Kowalski.
This company is a trend setter for dive lights, which must not be open for charging.
They never use NiMh batteries because the risk for an explosion is much too high.
They used only NC and today Lithium batteries.
Another German company has copied these dive lights, but they used for start NiMh batteries, because the capacity is higher.:dork2::dork2:
The result was some explosions of dive lights.
They wanted to sue the battery manufacturer, but he showed them the ban on charging of NiMh cells in enclosured housings.

Michael

Are you saying the NiMH cells give off hydrogen only in charging or also in use? Typically I charge my batteries outside the light.

Adam

NiMh batteries can give off hydrogen gas only in charging, but only if the battery cell will be "raped" or if the cell is damaged. If you charge your batteries outside the light you have no risk.
But it exist more weak points from NiMh: NiMh dont like coldness - the perfomance of NiMh batteries goes down in cold water dives and the lifetime is short.

Michael

Well , IMO step forward in perfect LED system :) should be canister with these batteries , Halcyon style lid (simple inspection of batteries , secure plugs , high quality connectors ), battery pack configured so that it could use smart charger balancers connectors ( battery tank without this is stupidity) and temperature feedback, .... there is a lot of other details which must be checked . But in that way - not in sealed caister IMO .

Last edited:
Well , IMO step forward in perfect LED system :) should be canister with these batteries , Halcyon style lid (simple inspection of batteries , secure plugs , high quality connectors ), battery pack configured so that it could use smart charger balancers connectors ( battery tank without this is stupidity) and temperature feedback, .... there is a lot of other details which must be checked . But in that way - not in sealed caister IMO .

I see, you are one this guys, who don´t know the difference between the normal used Lithium-Cobalt and Lithium Manganese batteries.:dork2:
Lithium Mangenese batteries dont need any balancer electronic and temperature control because these cells are shure and the voltage of these cells do not diverge in a package of serial or/and parallel connection. The same advantage applies to the Lithium-Iron batteries, but the capacity of these cells is too low and the price too high.

These cells are allowed to use in enclosure housings, because they can not produce hydrogen gas.

sorry, but from you I would have expected a more substantial contribution.

Michael

Well it is highly commendable that someone that might be your costumer someday adressing by ''DORK''. Readers can of course take that in account at taking decision to buy and later to service product if needed they'll know producer response.

Your company just shout on all mouth we have best Li Mn batterieas just no worry we have under controll all...bla , bla and all others are just DORKS, but yours company is not capable to produce ANY real safety document for these secondary type of bateries , not to mention on light as product.

Yes safety papers it just belongs to battery supplier and the most simple things is to attach suplier document of compliance of product , even you are responisble for whole product which you sell.

Sorry I'm just ''tech'' orientated guy which cares on details and I 'm not excited on marketing baloons without black on white.

So I have to search and chechk myself some papers learn something about LiMn chemistry process . ....
But from first look from maxwell sheets it is not all so simple ...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom