Next step after the Hero 4 Silver? Hero 5 or another brand (e.g. Xiaomi YI 2 4K)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get close, then get closer. Zoom with your fins.

That's what I do everytime. I try to fight for each picture - "If your pictures aren't good, you aren't close enough." (Robert Capa). But down in >100 ft it won't help. Especially when the animals are to far or to fast.
I dived in the deep south of Sudan this year. Down there I saw a school of hammerhead sharks. As I mentioned before, this was at around 140 ft.
Even if the water was crystal clear, the sun bright and the sky blue, the footage was grainy.

That's just the nature of the beast I'm afraid. At those kind of depths unless you are getting into a high end, high ISO capable camera, you'll only have a decent working distance of 20 feet or so. Even then with the wide angle of GoPros, your subject is going to be tiny in the frame. The sweet spot for GoPros is about 3-10 feet. The previously mentioned Sonys are supposed to be awesome in low light. But you are looking at a $10K minimum system with that.

The new GoPros might be a little better in low light, but it isn't magic. Remember if it is grainy, black and white is your friend.

-Chris

I have been using a GoPro Hero 3+ with Gobe 700 dive lights for a year and half. Like the OP, I feel that I have pushed this setup about as far as it can go. The main limitations of the GoPro are its low-light performance, lack of image stabilization and fixed focal length. While it performs admirably in wide angle video in natural light, it is much more difficult to get in close and true macro is not really an option.

After looking at the Hero 5, I realized that it would not be a significant improvement over what I currently have. I further recognized that I would have to move beyond the action camera space if I wanted to surpass its limitations. Unfortunately, cost was a significant limitation for me as I do not have the means to invest $10K+ in a DSLR or mirrorless setup. Furthermore, a dedicated 4K videocamera was still not affordable at $5K+ including the housing and port.

So, I decided to compromise by klodging together an older generation dedicated videocamera and housing. I picked up a Sony HDR-580v off e-bay for $100 and a Raynox HDR-680 conversion lens for $50. I bought an Ikelite 6038.55 and 9306.1 flat port for the Raynox lens from an online retailer for $500. I also upgraded to two Big Blue 2600 lumen video lights, which I got from LeisurePro for $400 in an end of line sale. For a little over a grand, I now have a video rig with similar image quality, in-camera image stabilization and 10X optical zoom.

It should be noted that I am primarily interested in video, so this solution would not work if you wanted to shoot high quality stills. In that case, I think that an RX100 Mk2 with an Ikelite housing would offer great value for a video and still shooter.

Sony RX-100 Mk II for 1080p video. $500. Or Mk V for 4K video for $1000.

Meikon housing. $250.

Done.

For about $3500-$4000 you could get a Nikon D7200 with a housing and Tokina 11-16mm 2.8f lens. High iso camera and low f stop wide lens. I don't have one but would like one.

Make the investment in a tray, arms and lighting. I have a single Light & Motion 2500 and I wished I had to on my last trip. Definitely upgrade the lighting before dealing with a new camera.

This video that someone posted really shows what you can do with good lights.

@DesertEagle Were you running red filters too?

Have you investigated the 360 degree video cameras? This what I am hoping to bring for seal and other big critter dives so I don't have to move camera around to follow them in the water. I am hoping this can be incorporated into the new virtual reality system my husband just installed, so that i can follow paths of critters in the virtual viewing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom