Next Petrel 2 firmware?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgive me for not noticing, but what improvements does the Perdix have that the Petrel 2 does not? I know it has a better battery life, and screen resolution but I doubt either of those can be improved with a firmware update.

CHANGE: Compass mark heading menu moved to reduce button presses. Also, the compass can now be viewed while marking. Operation: when viewing compass a left button press brings up an “Exit Mark” menu. Right press marks compass, Left press exits to main screen. Previously had to navigate to regular menus to mark the compass. The mark heading command now requires less button presses
IMPROVEMENT: When a heading is marked, the display now shows the offset angle between the current heading and the marked heading. This is useful for navigating patterns. For example, a box pattern requires turns at 90° intervals, while a triangle pattern requires turns at 120° intervals.
IMPROVEMENT: Compass display improvement. The ‘N’, ‘E’, ‘S’, and ‘W’ characters changed to a larger font.

Lynn,

Are there plans to adopt the same OC Rec data layout for OC Tec? The OC Rec layout utilizing small fonts for the bottom row and combo display of data is very nice and easy to use.

I find myself using the OC Rec layout even for deco dives. Easy to read nicely organized. Limitations of course is I can't have more than 3 gasses, can't change GF Hi on the fly, etc.

Wish we can have more data layout flexibility on OC Tec.

Thanks!

Hi Vixtor,

Version 33 for all Petrels will be released in the next few weeks. We are currently in testing.

Version 33 for all petrels is released, today, per Shearwater's Facebook page.

Just updated my Petrel 2 this afternoon. Small but solid updates, you gotta love this company.

I have already updated my Petrel yesterday. It came perfectly in time (just 1 day before my trip to Asia) :)

I REALLY like the live presentation of the error arrows (from the last compass mark). Nothing more than quick glances and a course that keeps them flipping between right and left means you are on course. Inspired.

It is known that most people tend to unconsciously steer in the direction that they are looking. So by finning TOWARDS the left or right green error arrow and number that you are looking at, you are already correcting.

Nicely done. Oh, FREE update. THANKS! :)

I just opened the box with my new Perdix inside.

I like it!

I just got my Petrel II yesterday... can't wait to make it better.

Pete, you can't make it better. Only Shearwater can :D.

That said, props on the new version of the SW Desktop I like the firmware up feature. Much nicer than going to the web site.

Seamless update performed yesterday.

Nice.

Back
Top Bottom