Next gen shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't want to take a brand new model of anything on an expensive trip. The test of time has value. You also want time to gain a thorough understanding of a computer's functions and features.

From what I understand the Petrel 2 is about as user friendly as is gets.

and has stood the test of time because while it is on its second generation, and the Petrel 1 is only a few years old, the GUI is essentially identical to the Predator so there is no learning curve

---------- Post added October 6th, 2015 at 09:11 AM ----------

oh, should also point out that they are still supporting the Predator. I didn't pay attention to it, but the Predator just got new firmware about 2 weeks ago. For reference the Predator was released 6 years ago, discontinued 3 years ago when the Petrel came out, but is still getting new firmware.... What does that say about the company?

Also, please keep in mind that yes, the Petrel was replaced with the Petrel 2 after 2 years, but the Predator was discontinued primarily when the screen was discontinued so it was an opportunity to make it compatible with non-saft batteries and decrease the form factor and price. Other than that there are no real functional differences between the two, and the Petrel 2 just added the digital compass and tweaked the bluetooth module. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying one now, you'll have support for a long long time and since there have been no significant changes to the Shearwater computer in 6 years that actually warrant a reason to upgrade, I see nothing in other computers that the Petrel needs but doesn't have to put in there....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom