Nexcare Absolute Waterproof bandages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverG

Reached My 2nd Goal!
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone ever used these products for scuba diving?

I had a wound that required 7 stitches which have been removed. It did get infected and I had a different doc take a look at and she prescriped some different antibiotics which seem to be doing the trick. After looking at it she said I would be good to go for the dive trip. Still thought it might be best to keep it dry if possible.

These are suppose to keep it dry while showering or bathing and be good for 7 days. I am not really sure if it would work in a diving environment, but may still use them to protect the area from the marine environment.

I doubt that keeping it dry is realistic in an activity and environment as dynamic as diving. Well, at least not without escalating to dry suits or such. If the skin has healed intact -- no scabs, no oozing -- I wouldn't worry too much about exposure to typical open ocean water. IMO, the usual exposed moist membranes of the nose, mouth, throat, and eyes are more vulnerable to infectious agents than even newly healed skin. Post-dive cleanliness can be as basic as a no-scrubbing, thorough soap and clean fresh water rinsing.

My focus would be on covering the area to protect it from re-injury or incidental contact with noxious substances. Just about any kind of ordinary bandage would serve; the product you mentioned almost certainly. The problem is durability. If not from mechanical damage such as abrasions or punctures, then flexing and soaking can break the adhesive. Adhesive strength can be greatly enhanced by first lightly swabbing compound tincture of benzoin on the surrounding undamaged skin. It can provoke an allergic reaction in some people. It also stains a bit and, IMO, smells like hell.

Anyway, I believe that the waterproof bandage mentioned makes use of film dressing technology, examples of which include OpSite(tm), DermaFilm(tm), Bioclusive(tm), Mepore(tm), and TegaDerm(tm). These are impervious to fluids and microorganisms while remaining vapor and oxygen permeable. IIRC, the permeability test is based on a British specification and basically involves evaporation measurements from a film-covered cup of water which is either upright or inverted. I'm unaware of any pressure strength specification or testing. Care must be used when applying film dressings on fragile or dry skin. Removal can be even more tricky because they're typically completely coated with adhesive. I wouldn't use these without a bit of instruction.

Has anyone ever used these products for scuba diving?

I wore one of these last week post-op over my incision...

Nexacare Absolute Adhesive Pad (Oddly, can't post image links in this forum.)

Had it on for 6 days straight during showering and everything, stayed on no problem, and in fact was a bit of challenge removing even after six days of showering.

Granted, I didn't move around much - no where near what I would diving - but I would think it just might do the trick. Unfortunately, I've got 4-6 more weeks before I'll be diving again.

Ray

Thanks Cutlass and RJP. I went to the local walmarts, walgreens and CVS. They had some of the bandages, but not the size I need. There was one that just barely coveredthe length of the wound, and I think I need one a little bit bigger.

I was thinking if I used it I would want to take it off after the first dive to see if it worked in the diving environment. If it is as big a pain to get off as you suggest....The other thought wa giving it some protection.

Thanks Cutlass and RJP. I went to the local walmarts, walgreens and CVS. They had some of the bandages, but not the size I need. There was one that just barely coveredthe length of the wound, and I think I need one a little bit bigger.

I was thinking if I used it I would want to take it off after the first dive to see if it worked in the diving environment. If it is as big a pain to get off as you suggest....The other thought wa giving it some protection.

I will be buying some tomorrow so I can go swimming this weekend.

Note I meant "challenge" to get off in a good way, attesting to it doing it's job. Removal wasn't difficult/painful in any way. It would be obvious if it worked because the adhesive is perfectly clear - you'd be able to tell if gauze pad was wet or not, so no need to remove after first dive to see if it worked.

These things are not cheap. I need a 6" x 6" because the wound is almost 4 inches long, and that is the only dressing that will cover the entire wound with the gauze pad plus the adhesive The darn things are $3.99 each at CVS Pharmacy although you are supposed to be able to use them for 7 days, are breathable etc. I'm probably oing to bite the bullit and spend $30 to make sure I have enough for my trip and hope they work for scuba diving.

The darn things are $3.99 each at CVS Pharmacy although you are supposed to be able to use them for 7 days,

Wow - the 2 3/8 in. x 4 in ones are $7.99 for a box of five at Walgreens.

Wow - the 2 3/8 in. x 4 in ones are $7.99 for a box of five at Walgreens.

I was hoping to use one closer to that size, but the gauze dressing part is not big enough to cover the wound. I might go check out some different locations of Walgreens and CVS to see if they have more selection of the bandages.

I was hoping to use one closer to that size, but the gauze dressing part is not big enough to cover the wound. I might go check out some different locations of Walgreens and CVS to see if they have more selection of the bandages.

Check the Walgreens website, which seems to list all available sizes, however only a few are available in-store. Probably can scrounge up an on-line coupon for a few bucks off.

I've seen the film dressing, Bioclusive(tm), at CVS; usually on the slow-moving-items top shelf or among the ostomy supplies. The biggest size I've seen there is 5"x7" but they're pricey at about $4-5 each; they do come bigger.

As I mentioned, with these films, adhesive usually completely covers one side which makes them tricky to use. To get around that, you can carefully peel off the backing, stick on an wound-covering-sized pad of gauze on the film, then slap that on. Sort of like an oversized bandaid. The next problem is protecting the film from mechanical damage. You could makeup another, even larger, sacrificial bandage-like cover. If the wound is on a limb, you could use a covering turn or two of a self-adhering elastic bandage like Coban(tm), with tape strips for added security; avoid encircling a limb with inelastic tape; using a wrapping of fabric roll bandage would likely fall apart from its own weight after soaking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom