Nex zeiss 24mm 1.8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrKevbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone with experience using the Zeiss 24mm 1.8 with the Nauticam nex system? Looks like a killer lens with great low light capabilities.

I reviewed the lens in the last issue of Underwater Photography magazine #67, it can be downloaded at UWPMAG.com.

It is at this time the best lens made for the NEX system. It needs a custom port of its own but worked in one of the current Nauticam ports without issue.

Phil Rudin

Phil, Thank you. Just what I was looking for.very helpful. I ordered the lens yesterday. It will be interesting to see if it will work with the 18-55 port and a subsee diopter. Kevin

I reviewed the lens in the last issue of Underwater Photography magazine #67, it can be downloaded at UWPMAG.com.

It is at this time the best lens made for the NEX system. It needs a custom port of its own but worked in one of the current Nauticam ports without issue.

Phil Rudin

Which port or diopter works best for this using a SONY NEX 7?

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2013 at 05:51 PM ----------

Which port or diopter works best for this using a SONY NEX 7?

using the Nauticam housing.

I used this lens with the four inch dome port to take full advantage of the lens. At this time Nauticam does not have a dedicated port for the Zeiss 24mm. I still think it is the best lens for NEX. I have not tested the new 10-18mm F/4 zoom which needs the new Nauticam 7" dome port. New Zeiss lenses for NEX are coming or at least being re-announced next month. The only new Ziess that will be interesting for U/W use is reported to be a 50mm macro which will reach 1:2, twice life size.

Phil Rudin

I used this lens with the four inch dome port to take full advantage of the lens. At this time Nauticam does not have a dedicated port for the Zeiss 24mm. I still think it is the best lens for NEX. I have not tested the new 10-18mm F/4 zoom which needs the new Nauticam 7" dome port. New Zeiss lenses for NEX are coming or at least being re-announced next month. The only new Ziess that will be interesting for U/W use is reported to be a 50mm macro which will reach 1:2, twice life size.

Phil Rudin

Thanks. That's the port I use. Do you add any Diopter filters? I just ordered a set of HOYA 1,2, and 4 Diopter filters to see if I can sharpen up the image. I'm going to test them in a bathtub (clean of any soap) first and then in a nearby quarry when I get enough time off to go. Concerning the upcoming Zeiss lenses, isn't there also a 12mm wide angle also coming out? I'm pretty happy with the 24mm but a wider angle would be nice for big stuff.

Hi Jim,

you are correct about a Ziess 12mm and on the APS-C sensor it will have an AOV of around 100 degrees which would be quite nice for wide angle. I think however that the 10-18 zoom will be the more likely lens most NEX users will want.

The Zeiss 24mm is a very close focusing lens, that is why I wanted to test the lens to begin with. Not sure if you will gain much upside with diopters of such week power on the lens inside the housing. I would expect image quality to become worse not better. Putting an additional piece of glass on such an excellent lens behind a dome made of acrylic just does not seen like a formula for better quality.

Phil Rudin

Hi Jim,

you are correct about a Ziess 12mm and on the APS-C sensor it will have an AOV of around 100 degrees which would be quite nice for wide angle. I think however that the 10-18 zoom will be the more likely lens most NEX users will want.

The Zeiss 24mm is a very close focusing lens, that is why I wanted to test the lens to begin with. Not sure if you will gain much upside with diopters of such week power on the lens inside the housing. I would expect image quality to become worse not better. Putting an additional piece of glass on such an excellent lens behind a dome made of acrylic just does not seen like a formula for better quality.

Phil Rudin

Hmmm. They should arrive in a few days and perhaps I can report next week or so. If, as you suggest, they don't help and maybe hurt, I guess it's either use a flat port or wait until Nauticam releases a dedicated Dome port.

BTW. I did test out the 10-18 on land and ended up returning it and getting the 24mm Prime. It's a good zoom but, on land at least, it lacked the sharpness of the 24mm prime. I'm beginning to see that is not the same thing as underwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom