Nex wide angle 16mm with 1 strobe setting with inon z240, enough power?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would agree that my poor choice of words (wide angle and macro SETTING) may have been misleading but the end result is the same.

I very much like this strobe from what I have seen so far but the fact still remains that the strobe only has a 32 GN with coverage of 80X80 degrees when used without the diffusers. With the 100 degree diffuser for wide angle the GN drops to 24.

The Inon strobe has a 100X100 degree angle of coverage and a GN of 24 with no diffuser, which makes the 24 GN the same for both strobes at the same coverage angle. At 110X110 degrees both strobes drop to a GN of 20.

One of big upside to the strobe would be for those shooting full frame macro using F/stops of F/22 and above to gain DOF. The extra power of the 32 GN at F/32 would be a big help. For those shooting sub full frame who are already getting one to two extra stops of DOF this is not as big an issue. Example an M43 or 43 camera has about the same DOF at F/11 as the full frame camera has at F/22 all things otherwise being equal, I.E. same angle of view lens.

Recycle time and battery life also appear to favor the Inon Z-240 a bit.

Phil Rudin

hey Phil - I tested the Z240 against the YS-D1 with the 100 degree diffuser, and the YS-D1 was noticeable stronger, I posted the results in my YS-D1 strobe review. Recycle time and battery life were similar in my tests. But I think either strobe would work well for wide-angle with the Sony 16mm lens. - Scott

Back
Top Bottom