Newspaper article on Philippine coral reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
THIS ARTICLE concerning the condition of the coral reefs in the Philippines was in the June 16, 2009 issue of The Philippine Star newspaper.

(I hope the link works without having to be a member of the online paper)

This is a problem all over but down here, our Reef Dome Project is working very well to get corals started again! we put 5003 in the water and another mob are now doing another 500!
This type of project is cheap and it works, others should come and take a look at what we have done and think about it themselves! Its hard work but very rewarding!

The Smithsonian only know these reefs and draw conclusions from them.

While it is good that they are raising this, they - and others - must realise that that the centre of marine biodiversity lies to the South in the Celebes Sea.

However, while people percieve that there is conflict in our areas, then this is the only conclusion that they can make.

This is because these people do not travel to our areas, as their travel advisories prevent them from doing this; the corals and marine life in the Celebes Sea (Philippine side) are not spoken about (though this place is regarded as the centre of marine biodiversity).

IMO, as climate change affects reefs in the central/northern PI's and other areas, then people must travel further to see the best coral/marine life here in the south.

How long can people 'kid' themselves that they are seeing the best of Coral Triangle diving when travelling to northerly areas in the PI's?

Especially when travel to here is easy and diving still retains its charm to 'purist' divers.

THIS ARTICLE concerning the condition of the coral reefs in the Philippines was in the June 16, 2009 issue of The Philippine Star newspaper.

(I hope the link works without having to be a member of the online paper)

Sounds very close to the conditions I found in Northern Leyte when doing some exploration dives from Malapascua - nearly totally obliterated corals down to 60 feet. :shakehead:

i thought studies show that the center of marine biodiversity is the verde island passage? some experts who did studies said so.

you are correct jigo. Studies that are peer-reviewed by the scientific community and published in ISI journals.

But let WWD keep talking out of his ass and look like a fool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom