News: Sipadan Park Fee Increase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where does the fee money get directed? Park enforcement?

I have just returned back from Sipadan.

Yes, there was a RM40 fee for security forces which are stationed on the island itself. I even took picture with those armed soldiers. I thought the fee was indeed per weekly basis. If they do change it to "per day" basis, it is really bad news.

Could be a good news also judging how I saw irresponsible divers from Celebes Explorer doing their "things" underwater. I plan to write it up on a separate trip report, but here's a hint: I saw them plucking corals underwater and even caught one with a freshly picked crinoid clung on his waist.

No wonder my dive in Sipadan was below expectation. Maybe my country should get rid of all these irresponsible divers (oddly, most are Europeans too, weird isn't it?)

Is it really that bad? I am looking to dive in Sipadan next month. It will be my first trip to Sipadan. Been hearing lots of negative reports out.

Very irritating that kind of stuff, and can really mess up my dives because of the irritation. Catch them and send them up, warn the DM and hope they are not allowed to dive anymore is all one can do.

In my experience it is in general the eastern europeans doing that kind of stuff, I once caught one of them on the wreck the Giannis D in the Red Sea trying to break of the railing and take it home with him.

This is sad. Imagine after so much of struggle; eventually Sipadan Island has been vacated. The last I dived; all still seem fine....corals and perlargics have mostly returned since last year.

Wonder if the Authorities will re-consider as diving is also one of their main source of revenue. Probably the resorts and operators there may have to consider subsidising not all but part of the costs; otherwise it would be a matter of time the count of backpackers will drop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom